Bandsaw motor problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

For a little while my bandsaw made one or two loud popping noises shortly after starting it up. However yesterday it suddenly made loads of pops in quick succession and the motor came to a stop. After 5 mins of being unplugged I tried to start it again, to my surprise it did but in reverse! And with very little speed. I quickly turned it off and that's where I am now.

Anyone have ideas what's happened to the motor of my bandsaw?

Fantastic! I'll get in the motor and find out what capacitor I need this evening
:).

Thanks for your help chaps, do you think any damage may have been caused to the main motor?

There should not be any damage but you should ALWAYS investigate when there is a change of behaviour of any machine whether it be mechanical or electrical. In this way you can often prevent a future failure which will always come at an inconvenient time.

Bob

Good input bob, unfortuantly I've not had the bandsaw long. I will certainly be proactive in the future though.

Humm I took the cover off the capacitor housing to find the device in the photo attached. When I turn on the motor the spring moves and a spark appears. Anyone got any idea what's what?

Attachments

• 13365116689950.jpg
    13365116689950.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 80
  • 13365117047711.jpg
    13365117047711.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 80
That is a relay of some sort maybe related to an NVR.
A capacitor is usually cylindrical often plastic body with two wires/terminals on it.

Odd isn't it! This part I guess is working fine then! As the relay triggers when I turn the motor on and off. My saw has a normal 3 pin plug head on it but is it possible its a 3 phase? There are no other sticky outy bits on the motor housing. But maybe the capacitor is inside?

Forgot to mention but the saw was made in 1986 and is a swiss inca 342 186.

This is the label on the bottom of the motor. I noticed it states 220v :-( could that be the problem perhaps?

Attachments

• 13365133270110.jpg
    13365133270110.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 77
There are few people on here with Inca kit maybe they can help.

A three phase motor will not run on single phase without a converter or inverter.

From your photo it is a single phase, 3/4 hp 6 pole motor and has a 16uF capacitor

It is in there somewhere but exceptionally unlikely to be inside the motor.

Bob

I got the fan off the back to find 2 very good looking condition capacitors! However I have also found a not to healthy looking piece of wiring! At a guess caused by overly tight crimping? No sure to be honest!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this? I was trying to get the back cover at night but it wasn't budging!

Attachments

• 13365141797510.jpg
    13365141797510.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 73
Capacitors can fail but still look in good condition, they can be tested but not easily at home.
You could look for a company that would test them bit i think their charge may equal the cost of new ones.

Ah okay, I thought maybe I could test them with a multi meter? I'll get a price on some new ones. Do you think that might have been the cause of the wiring fail?

As has already been said, testing at home needs a more complex set up to check the performance at mains voltages.

Changing both capacitors will be the cheapest option with the greatest chance of success.

Check the new ones will fit as space looks tight - this will be why they have fitted a pair.
Change the wiring too if it look dubious.
Draw a diagram of the connections before you start!!

Bob

Ah okay thanks, I've took plenty of photos of the wiring before I took it all apart. The wiring will need replacing as it's actually burnt through one of them!

Yeah that sounds like a plan. What I'm trying to work out is the cause of the popping noises that were happening... At the moment I'm wondering of it was the wires shorting or a problem with the capacitors.

Latest posts

Back