Bandsaw Motor next to Cylinder Melted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renoj

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure what happened today but this part of the bandsaw motor melted. Can I just replace this part and does anyone know what it does and why it would have melted?

Thank you!
IMG_20210610_102802.jpg

It's a capacitor. Can't see enough detail of the motor etc as there are various combinations of start and run caps depending on the motor. Very common fault. Are there any markings or numbers? They are quite generic parts but it's easier to fit something which physically fits (as well as being the correct rating)

Its a capacitor and its not unusual for that to happen. These can be easily replaced. There should be some numbers on the existing capacitor showing the Voltage and uH that you need which should help guide you find the correct replacement.

It should say on it what specification it, machine manufacturer spare prices are just markups of COTS parts so just get the same spec and it’ll be a swap out, so long as the connection to it is still healthy?

Thankyou all, much appreciated. It's an old hammer n4400 will find a pattern part today.

Went to find the spec but the old capacitor is coated in black spray paint aside from where the cable ties were. I don't suppose anyone would know old '95 n4400 bandsaw capacitor?

Thankyou all, much appreciated. It's an old hammer n4400 will find a pattern part today.
I have just checked my N4300. The start cap is 300MFD and the run cap is 30 microfarad. Also found that my run cap has blown as well but the machine runs ok.

Does anybody know why the Farad is such a huge unit that we work mainly with micro Farads. No need to know just curious

Does anybody know why the Farad is such a huge unit that we work mainly with micro Farads. No need to know just curious
It is a derived unit from other basic SI units. in terms of capacitors, metres are huge, kilograms are huge, Amperes are ok then comes time, seconds are ok but to the 4 power it gets huge too usable capacitor sizes range from a few farads (super capacitors) to a few pico farads in radio circuitry so about a range of 10 to power 13

Back