Bandsaw mitre fence problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaside Donkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an Axminster Craft AC1950B Bandsaw along with their Craft Mitre Fence.

I'm well impressed with the quality of cuts on the small resawing jobs it was bought for but I'm struggling with the mitre fence. Cross cuts are fine, giving a true right angle but when trying to cut at a 45° it's nowhere near. I've checked the fence against known 45° angles and it's correct so what could be going on here? The blade supplied in the saw is 6 tpi x 12 mm.

Straight and clean, just not 45°

20210417_171155[1].jpg

It should be ok....maybe your pushing too hard and not letting blade cut....this may slide the wood up the angle ...,forming a compound angle.,,
I’ve done this myself..,,it comes out slightly smaller angle....say something like 40 deg.

Regards

Steve

Try clamping the wood to the fence. It may be slipping as you cut. Another option is glue sandpaper or non slip strip to the fence. It hard to hold the work against a slippery metal surface.
Regards
John

A bandsaw isn't the tool i would be using for getting accurate 45 degree cross cuts. I'd be using a Sliding mitre saw, or if I did have to use the bandsaw I would be finishing with a mitre slice or shooting board.

I have the same bandsaw but I use Axminsters more expensive UJK Fence. It does in my view, justify the extra cost.https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-technology-precision-mitre-gauge-and-fence-104579

Thanks for all the replies.

A bandsaw isn't the tool i would be using for getting accurate 45 degree cross cuts. I'd be using a Sliding mitre saw,

Yeah I'm with you on that but to use the sliding mitre saw I have to lift the bandsaw from the top of the router table, take it outside, then get the mitre saw from under the wine rack and put it on top of the router table......... you know what it's like working in a small space. I was hoping I could run off the odd mitre cut without having to do all that. After all the saw is equipped to do it.

Something not mentioned is the table, is the table and therefore mitre slot square to the blade because if this is out then everything will be out.

Mitre slot is square to the table. Checked blade is square to both the fence and the mitre slot. It's a pretty good quality table for the price - cast iron and dead flat.

The calibrations on my sliding mitre thing are wrong - just need a new zero mark punched on to the shaft. Maybe check yours?
Check your Bahco square too. They are usually pretty good but you never know.

Must admit I wouldnt be using a bandsaw for this type of cut, it would be a mitre saw or my table saw. bandsaws are good for most things but not all things.

Back