Bandsaw - Laguna or Record Power

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westy619

Established Member
Reaction score
So i'm looking for a large bandsaw, looks like my main options are the record power sabre 450 or the laguna 18bx. I doubt anyone here has owned both saws but any advice from owers of either saw would be appreciated as neither are exactly cheap, but the laguna is quite a bit more expensive.

I have the Laguna 14BX and am very pleased with it. It’s a really well engineered machine. While it’s the little brother of the one you are considering happy to answer any specific questions that you may have.

I have the Laguna 14BX and am very pleased with it. It’s a really well engineered machine. While it’s the little brother of the one you are considering happy to answer any specific questions that you may have.
Thanks, I suppose my main question would be is it worth the extra money over other such saws. How are the ceramic guides? I've got a Fusion 3 table saw so I know the quality and overall finish of their machines is very good. I suppose im just looking to justify the extra £800 over the record power... 😀

Thanks, I suppose my main question would be is it worth the extra money over other such saws. How are the ceramic guides? I've got a Fusion 3 table saw so I know the quality and overall finish of their machines is very good. I suppose im just looking to justify the extra £800 over the record power... 😀
The key things I have noticed having upgraded from a Scheppach are the extra power, the ease of setting the blade guides and that the dust extraction is very effective. Ironically my brother bought a Record Sabre 350 at the same time I bought mine but due to C19 we’ve not been able to compare.

Not sure if one can extrapolate, but I have the Sabre 350. Very happy - only 2 issues. Dust extraction is very poor - had to create my own workaround for that. I only use 5/8 blade max - feel that saw cannot easily tension 3/4.

Before you make a final decision, look into the availability of both - may sway your choice, particularly if your need is more urgent. I have had a Sabre 350 on order for a few months now and still no-one can tell me when it might arrive - same goes, I think, for all the Record Power range. Can't comment on the Laguna saw, I'm afraid.

Before you make a final decision, look into the availability of both - may sway your choice, particularly if your need is more urgent. I have had a Sabre 350 on order for a few months now and still no-one can tell me when it might arrive - same goes, I think, for all the Record Power range. Can't comment on the Laguna saw, I'm afraid.

Thanks, luckily I'm in no rush but equally don't necessarily wan't to be waiting months and months. Presumably a result of Covid/Brexit? It was dissapointing to see the price of the sabre 450 jumped by £150 in
January.

The Laguna is 186kg and the sabre 149kg.
I would go for the heavier saw if you intend to run a 3/4" blade.
Still a bit on the light side for running a blade of that size.

Did you have a look at any 20" 200kg machines?
You could get two saws for the money used y'know.

Scott&Sargeant has quite a large range to compare if you are looking new.
A big place like that should be able to demonstrate a cheaper saw working before you pack it up.

Tom

Last edited:
i have the Laguna 18BX upgraded from a RP BS400........ its just an utterly beautiful thing, its main job is resawing wide boards into 1mm & 1.5mm veneers which it does with ease, its just a joy to run, setup, clean down..

makes me want to i swap onto a laguna table saw & drum sander.

i have the Laguna 18BX upgraded from a RP BS400........ its just an utterly beautiful thing, its main job is resawing wide boards into 1mm & 1.5mm veneers which it does with ease, its just a joy to run, setup, clean down..

makes me want to i swap onto a laguna table saw & drum sander.

Looks like my wallet might be taking a beating then... 👍

So I've gone for the Laguna 18BX. Looks like a more solid machine than the record power plus the extra HP in the motor, guides etc swayed it. I did also look at ACM saws which look very good as well, however the equivalently priced saws they had come with less features than the laguna, I imagine you're paying more for tge fact they are made in
Italy rather than China/Taiwan?

Hi Westy, Just for info, we had our latest 18BX container delivery last Friday. They are all pre-sold to retailers but I do know that a few retailers ordered extra stock.
Cheers, Nick.
Thanks Nick, I couldn't find any places with stock in the end. Do you have any idea when the next shipment is due? Also, how do I go about ordering spare parts such as riving nives, insert plates etc for the Fusion 3 table saw in the UK?

Thanks Nick, I couldn't find any places with stock in the end. Do you have any idea when the next shipment is due? Also, how do I go about ordering spare parts such as riving nives, insert plates etc for the Fusion 3 table saw in the UK?
Hi Westy, sorry for my delayed reply I've been out the country for family reasons.
Try West Country Woodworking or Grovewood Machinery - they both had extra 18BX stock as far as I know.
Any spares needed, contact the retailer you bought the Fusion from - we have most in stock.
Cheers, Nick

Hi Westy, sorry for my delayed reply I've been out the country for family reasons.
Try West Country Woodworking or Grovewood Machinery - they both had extra 18BX stock as far as I know.
Any spares needed, contact the retailer you bought the Fusion from - we have most in stock.
Cheers, Nick

Thanks, I ended up just going with the best price I could find, Biven Machinery. Downside is they are saying September for delivery 😞

Easy to be the cheapest when you haven’t got stock.
So i'm looking for a large bandsaw, looks like my main options are the record power sabre 450 or the laguna 18bx. I doubt anyone here has owned both saws but any advice from owers of either saw would be appreciated as neither are exactly cheap, but the laguna is quite a bit more expensive.
Always look at the bandwheels. The more weight, the more inertia when cutting. also I suggest you look at them in the real world rather than just pictures online. It gives a better idea of the machine quality

Thanks, I ended up just going with the best price I could find, Biven Machinery. Downside is they are saying September for delivery 😞
@Westy619 Just a heads up - you may want to contact them as I sent a mail out to all retailers yesterday explaining we cannot guarantee forward pricing September onwards... Pricing will be confirmed when containers leave TW - 6-8 weeks prior to landing in UK.

Last edited:
Back