Bandsaw issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott B

Reaction score
Hi I have bought an Axminster SBw4300 bandsaw and had back and forth issues with several different blades. Turns out the bottom wheel has a 2mm buckle in it, has anyone had this issue and does it require a new wheel. grateful for any help?it's still under warranity. Axminster are just sending me new tyres it seems.

Hello Scott, curious how you managed to measure this?
Presumably you've stuck the shaft on a dial indicator to rule that out,
replaced the bearings if needed, and stuck the indicator on the wheel without a blade installed as it would be interfering with things.
Is the rim out aswell as the wheel itself?
Is the tire flush with the rim?
What happens if you clamp a ball point pen to a fixed location, say on center (without blade installed)

Have you tried Axi's own GT blades?, I find these work better than anything else I've tried on a tire that needs replacement.

Sounds like you could do some work on the tires to fix this if an Axi GT blade won't track correctly.
i.e check if they are undamaged, correctly glued, or dress them if necessary.

Tom

Last edited:
The burning question.... how old is it? and where is it? in Europe you have a three years from new guarantee. if thats the case, you want a new wheel.
But like Tom says, give more details about how you checked it.
Quick way to check bearings on a fixed hub wheel;
with the blade removed, grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock, and try to push and pull the wheel towards you. Is there ANY movement?. Without turning the wheel, grab it at 12 and 6 oclock. Try to push and pull. If there is any movement in either direction the bearings need replacing. With the blade off, and the drive belt off, spin the wheel as fast as you can. It should run for a long time without any noise at all. Any noise and the bearings are gone. This will also show up any buckle.

Hello Scott, curious how you managed to measure this?
Presumably you've stuck the shaft on a dial indicator to rule that out,
replaced the bearings if needed, and stuck the indicator on the wheel without a blade installed as it would be interfering with things.
Is the rim out aswell as the wheel itself?
Is the tire flush with the rim?
What happens if you clamp a ball point pen to a fixed location, say on center (without blade installed)

Have you tried Axi's own GT blades?, I find these work better than anything else I've tried on a tire that needs replacement.

Sounds like you could do some work on the tires to fix this if an Axi GT blade won't track correctly.
i.e check if they are undamaged, correctly glued, or dress them if necessary.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I made a quick jig clamped to the side of the saw frame and glued a piece of wood to get nearer to the wheel, stuck a small ruler to that butted against the rim. As i turned it by hand i could see the gap open and close. Axminster have agreed to collect and hopefully fix it. it was a problem finding the error i've been trying different blades to establish if it was weld issues on blades the top wheel seems fine and balanced . the tyres are a little loose and axminster have sent me some replacement urethane tyres. looks like i will be without a bandsaw for a while. Liked the ball point pen idea will do that when it comes back to make sure it's all working.

The burning question.... how old is it? and where is it? in Europe you have a three years from new guarantee. if thats the case, you want a new wheel.
But like Tom says, give more details about how you checked it.
Quick way to check bearings on a fixed hub wheel;
with the blade removed, grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock, and try to push and pull the wheel towards you. Is there ANY movement?. Without turning the wheel, grab it at 12 and 6 oclock. Try to push and pull. If there is any movement in either direction the bearings need replacing. With the blade off, and the drive belt off, spin the wheel as fast as you can. It should run for a long time without any noise at all. Any noise and the bearings are gone. This will also show up any buckle.

To be honest i have only had it from new since last August and first noticed it last November and have been trying things ever since. bearings all seem okay and it's not had much use as the wobble prevents me from setting up thrust bearings correctly. Thanks again for the advice.

This is the drive wheel of the above bandsaw. Is this the cause of the quiver in all my blades? This seems like a significant buckle in the bottom wheel, top wheel is fine. any advice appreciaterd.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.mov
    6.8 MB
Hello
Is your jacking bolts in contact with the shaft?
They could be loose and your camber could be causing what you've written about.

Failing that
Without a blade installed which could interfere with things, is this error the same on the back of the wheel?

What blades have you got now?

I see witness marks on your tire that suggest it could be dressed.
Here's a thread on this, and may I annoy you by suggesting a not so delicate Axi GT blade, or shall I have to wait for the ...I told you so!

Here's a thread about tire dressing.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...eade-bandsaw-tyres.104443/page-2#post-1325220
Good luck
Tom

Back