Bandsaw: hammer 3800

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helvetica

Established Member
Reaction score
Felder have recently released the hammer N3800, it looks similar to the N4400 but with a 1.5kW, 2hp motor, and a max blade width of 20mm. Smaller flywheel etc, but the cutting dimensions are close enough. It's coming in at £949+vat, versus £1145+vat inc 3 free blades. Any thoughts in the value of the N3800?

Personally, I'm looking for my first and last bandsaw. I'll mostly (try to) make furniture, but I might want to chop logs into planks, and want to resaw 10" hardwood easily. I want something that will last. Old Startrites are too expensive, word is out that they are a good 2nd hand buy, so sellers are looking for nearly £900 for a clean one! Seems like the n3800 has a very similar spec.

I believe the Hammer machines are still made to their specification in Italy (I think by ACM). I have looked at the Hammer N4400 and it is very nicely constructed.
There are quite few well respected manufacturers in Italy such as ACM, Agazzani, Centuaro and Meber to name a few. Another possible option for you is the Italian Mini Max S45 bandsaw. Same capacity, cutting depth and blade width as the N3800, an industrially rated machine that has been made for over 20 years and will happily run from with a domestic 13A plug as well (1500w, 2HP motor). They appear on e-bay fairly regularly but don't generally attract the same amount of bidding frenzy as the Startrites, but they are very well made and excellent machines manufactured by the largest industrial woodworking machinery company in the world (SCM in Italy). They are still available new as the S45N and spares still available for the older model I have (2001 manufacture). Buying a good second hand one is the way to go though!
This was the machine I ended up with, although I also started out looking at Hammer and Startrite. Having used it for over a year now, I doubt I will ever change it.
Just another possibility for you, see my original post here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/my-new-italian-companion-minimax-s45-bandsaw-t54601.html

I have a Minimax S45 and wouldn't swap it for anything else. I first bought a huge 3 phase Axminster SBW 5300 and it did what I wanted to be fair, but had the chance of a well looked after school used Minimax for £500 so decided to sell the axy.
The saw has out performed all saw's i've used in both accuracy and smoothness of cut. Fitted with blades from Tuff saws it will cut to it's maximum depth with no problem.
If you can find an S45 for a fair price, you won't go far wrong.

Jonathan.

Back