bandsaw guides, aftermarket

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to buy some guides for an old cast iron bandsaw with 20" wheels that I am restoring. I was considering some Carter Products guides but then came across the Wadkin spares shop.
Would I be correct in thinking a set of guides for a Wadkin E600 or E700 would be a good choice?

Does anyone have experience with the Wadkin guides? It's a lot of money to spend only to find they are difficult to adjust, or have some other niggly problem.

Wadkin don’t manufacture the guides. The main aftermarket ones are GL guides which are very popular (made in Italy) and Panhans APA ones are better, but sadly more expensive (made in Germany) both quite easy to fit and adapt to mot machines.
Paul

Often called Euro guides also.
These mount onto a 30mm solid round post, it seems all Italian sheet metal saws all have the same system, and are quite adjustable, left to right anyways.

Very expensive though, even for consumables.
You can swap a lot of parts out.

There might be a set on the bay, as a lot of folk like extras these days,
likely because someone said so on the internet,
and Laguna also sells ceramic upgrade kits.
Maybe Felder too?

Planning to buy some in a few years when someone does a good copy of the original.
Don't really need anything but a single thrust guide personally, as I use my machine for ripping and resawing only, whilst using a stout 3/4" blade.

Ps could take some sort of measurements if you liked.

Tom

Last edited:
Often called Euro guides also.
These mount onto a 30mm solid round post, it seems all Italian sheet metal saws all have the same system, and are quite adjustable, left to right anyways.

Very expensive though, even for consumables.
You can swap a lot of parts out.

There might be a set on the bay, as a lot of folk like extras these days,
likely because someone said so on the internet,
and Laguna also sells ceramic upgrade kits.
Maybe Felder too?

Planning to buy some in a few years when someone does a good copy of the original.
Don't really need anything but a single thrust guide personally, as I use my machine for ripping and resawing only, whilst using a stout 3/4" blade.

Ps could take some sort of measurements if you liked.

Tom
There are several sizes available but I'm not quite at the fitting guides stage yet as since stripping the saw and cleaning/bead blasting it, I don't seem to be able to find the time and energy to spray it and put it back together. If it hadn't been so heavy I'd be using it because I wouldn't have had to strip it down to bring it home. Don't worry about measurements, but thanks for the offer. I'm really finding it difficult to chose between euro guides and the American type. {probably not a lot of difference). The Panhans look very nice.

Regarding even a single thrust guide, or a pair, as I don't use my damaged side rollers, and my lower thrust didn't survive welding.

I can't say which is any better, as I've never tried the ceramic ones.
Seems to me those who want the thrust guide that close/practically rubbing, usually have crowned tires.

If you have flat tires you can set it further away, as it won't be used as frequently... that is, if you're intending to do ripping/resawing with a stout blade, which your machine will be able to handle.

I remember seeing a picture but can't recall if there was any guides that came with the saw?
Hope you can give us an update, as we love some old iron

Cheers
Tom

Latest posts

Back