Bandsaw fuse blows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wordley

Reaction score
I bought a second-hand Startrite 600 bandsaw. It worked pretty well until yesterday. Now every time I try to set it going it blows the fuse in the plug.

I am not very electrical. Is it likely to be:

A) A dud switch?
B) Something dud in the motor?
C) A build up of dust somewhere?
D) Other?

Could I try bypassing the switch to see whether the switch is the problem - it seems quite a complex switch so I don't know whether it does something other than Off/On!

Thanks

Alan

Most likely B

Were you working it particularly hard when the fuse blew in use or did the fuse blow when you came to turn it on?

Prop open a door so you can get some natural light in the workshop. The following procees might blow the breaker to the workshop and you could lose the lights.
Wrap a fuse in some aluminium foil temorarily and insert in the plug
Remove the blade and spin the driven bandwheel by hand in the normal direction of rotation as fast as you can
Press the start switch and hover your finger over the stop button

Does the motor pick up speed and run normally?
Stop the motor
spin in the opposite direction by hand and press start again
Does the motor continue to turn in that direction and run up to speed backwards?

Post a general shot of the motor and a sharp focus one of the rating plate ON THE MOTOR not the machine so I can read all the numbers.

Remove the foil from the fuse and discard the foil and forget anyone ever sugggested that you bypass a fuse!!

Report back with as much information as you can.

Cheers

Bob

motor3s.jpg
Hi Bob

Thanks for answering. The fuse did not blow in use.

I am attaching (I hope)the 2 photos you asked for- I hope they are clear enough.

Call me a coward but I don't really fancy the fuse bypass technique. Convince me - what will it tell us?

BTW The blade and the motor seem to rotate fairly easily when pushed manually.

Best wishes

Alan

Attachments

• Motor1s.jpg
    Motor1s.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 121
  • motor3s.jpg
    motor3s.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 220
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the photos.

If you follow my suggestions we might be able to get to the bottom of your problem. Without the results, we are just guessing and could just waste time and money.
If you don't fancy the tests then I can't help you unless you want to send me the motor for analysis.
You freely admit you are not very electrical but, as many here will tell you here, I am 'very' electrical and am solving motor problems almost daily for members on various UK woodworking forums. If you follow the link in the footer of all my messages, you may be convinced of my pedigree on the subject of motors
You asked for help and I offered it.

Over to you

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for the swift reply.

I bow to your much superior knowledge. I just hate electrical things that flash and bang.

In my garage/ workshop I have an old-fashioned junction box with wire fuses. I presume that with your scheme just the ring main fuse will blow rather than the whole garage/house/neighbourhood?

I will pluck up courage!

Alan

Yes those fuses will protect what you are doing and why you might just lose the lights if the breker goes in the house feeding your workshop.

Bypassing the plug fuse will just give some more time to judge what is going on before or even if, the ring main fuse blows.

Just don't let the electrical gremlins know that you are afraid and they won't take advantage of you :lol: :lol:

I'm around most of the time and I have the interweb down in the workshop and can normally respond in a few hours to most calls. I do make house calls but I'm afraid Northampton is a bit too far. If we get really stuck, you can send me the motor but lets see how we get on by remote control.

Cheers

Bob

I just hate electrical things that flash and bang.

We're use to it! Sorry Bob!
I wired the igniter of the wife's gas hob in today, now me, I like to leave at least 6 inches of cable in the metal box so that I can get at the terminals.
Fine, till you try to shove it all back into the box.
Okay love, turn the mains on!
Flash! Bang!
Remove socket, Earth wire had touched the live terminal! :oops:

Roy.

Hi

I have now established that the motor has blown on my 301 Startrite bandsaw and that it would cost £300 to rewind it!

I need a reconditioned motor - single phase 6 pole- but can't locate one on the web.

Anybody got any ideas?

Alan

i know it’s a long shot because it’s been years since you posted this but if you do see this and managed too don’t a suitable motor could you give me a message

Don’t get your hopes up, Wordley’s last visit to the forum was when he made his last post over 8 years ago according to his profile but you never know.

Latest posts

Back