Bandsaw for willow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batcrazy

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm getting a bit scuppered trying to work out which bandsaw I should really be thinking of buying...

I'm looking to make cricket bats and as such I'd like to be able to splice the handles into the willow. The problem I have is that the small hobby style bandsaw I have been using doesn't cut the "V" into the willow straight, that is, it twists and I get an angled cut when the jig it slowly move into the blade

As I am looking to buy on myself one to able to do this I'd like some advice / recommendation on what I should be looking bandsaw wise and blade wise

The height the willow to be cut is around 60mm in general to 75mm absolute max [2.5" to 3"] in height.

Many thanks in advance

batcrazy

batcrazy":3l4y8gb1 said:
The problem I have is that the small hobby style bandsaw I have been using doesn't cut the "V" into the willow straight, that is, it twists and I get an angled cut when the jig it slowly move into the blade

You don't mention what kind of blade you're using in which bandsaw at the moment, so the first thing I'd suggest would be to get hold of a good blade, and see if that makes enough of a difference. After all, if it does you've saved yourself most of the cost of a new bandsaw, and if it doesn't, you're only out a few quid.

TuffSaws make excellent blades; I found that replacing the blade that came with my bandsaw with a 'premium' one from another manufacturer already made the quality and precision of cut much better, and replacing that one with a blade from TuffSaws gave a similar improvement over the top of the first one. Also consider the type of blade you need - for a straight cut I'd suggest you're much better off with as wide (front-to-back) a blade as you can fit, as the length of the blade in the kerf will help keep it straight. Thinner blades are more likely to turn under the sideways forces the cutting edge experiences as it hits different densities of wood cutting at a shallow angle to the grain, and so on.

I have what a lot of the guys on this forum would consider a small hobby-style bandsaw (although there are certainly smaller models around) and I have no trouble getting a straight cut in material the thickness of a cricket bat using a good 1/2" blade.

Thanks for the reply Jake...

I have to take the cleft size down even further to attempt it but it is similar to this one... Ryobi EBW2523

It is actually good for the toe and shoulders of the bat and thought it may work for handling... but nope... please the cutting depth isnt what it is cracked up to be :shock:

So any more help Bandsaw advice will be hugely appreciated

I too would try a TUFFSAW blade before you get a new bandsaw.....

I've shown it recently but I will show you again to prove a point....

DSC_0550.JPG

The straight and curved cuts on this Indian rosewood were done using a TUFFSAW blade on a crappy old Burgess bandsaw....and you can't get any smaller or more "rubbish" than one of them!

Jim

I think circular saw maybe a bit to much!!!!

have a look at this 20secs in this is simialr to my jig setup... Cant workout the bandsaw used though

[http://youtu.be/owhngq5W6p8]

Back