Bandsaw for approx £250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm a new guitar builder looking for a bandsaw. I'm normally pretty good at researching online when it comes to routers/drills/planer-thicknesser etc but this bandsaw search has left me frustrated, even good makes seem to have some stinking reviews so thought I'd come here and ask the experts!

It doesn't need to cut anything massively thick 2" would be the max I'd cut but they would be relatively hard woods, won't be doing any pine etc. Bench or free-standing fine, budget £250ish. Would stretch that for an ideal machine.

I was tempted by this Record Power BS250 but seen numerous reviews that they often arrive damaged as the packaging is awful.

Sheppach Basa 1, v mixed reviews. Same thing I've seen for Draper, Axminster, Titan.

If anyone can advise, be hugely grateful!

Thanks for your time.

The advice regarding bandsaws seems to place much more emphasis on using the right blades than worrying about the machine itself. Any of those machines you mentioned are good, and everyone (myself included) rates the tuffsaw blades as top notch.

People who complain about damaged packaging when rating products make me laugh. If the packaging is poor or damaged, you reject it upon delivery.

inca. used.

helpfully, none on ebay at the moment but IMHO they are superior to any of the new ones. With the money that you save you can buy a decent blade or two from tuffsaws, which will transform any saw when compare to a blunt blade, or one that it comes with.

actually there is one on there but it looks overpriced and not that good condition. it is also missing some parts.

Kity is also worth a look if you can find a 413

If you can wait until Record Power are next attending a show/event, you can usually get the BS250 (or any other model) at a discounted price and take it home with you.

I'd say the Record would be your best bet. Good company, solid machines and very good customer service.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I use a Scheppach Basa 1. The build quality is as you would expect from a German manufacturer, I've found it to meet all my needs but then I'm not sawing anything really thick with it. the fence is of the lever lock design and is pretty good and mine is accurate, although when you cinch the lever you do need to put a little bit of pressure on the far end of the fence or it will lift up slightly. the body is enamalled sheet and is pretty stiff. As usual the blade supplied is pants and you really do need to get good aftermarket blades. Just go with the flow on this and call Ian.

I managed to get mine when on offer at screwfix for just under a C note. As for the money, I consider it well spent. It should meet all your needs unless you are planning on doing something bigger.

Thanks for your advice guys, appreciated.

I've gone for the Record Power BS250, picking it up on Wednesday if all goes well!

Well, bought it at a trade fair, got it for £219, so pretty happy with that, got the stand too.

Took me ages to set it up, instructions useless and in parts blatently wrong, particularly the stand. It was a bit frustrating that the dill holes in the machine didn't line up with the stand, one bolt was out and needed to be bent.

I'm a little puzzled by some of the fittings, the ratchet system on the trunnion seems daft. Why not put a normal wing nut that doesn't foul the side of the machine when you turn it!? The ratchet was a pig to first put on when it's loose and not enough grip to activate the release of the ratchet.

Nice touch they include a DVD with it, shame it's for a different machine (Bs300 with extra features) so some of things not relevant!

It's very quiet, give it that. Very impressive!

I've had a bit of a moan here but am pleased with it. Once I master setting it up (can't get the table square with blade, as I tighten trunnion it seems to tip towards trunnion a little bit) I think it will be fantastic.

I just picked up a record 300e with spare blade & as advertised it was like new. Cost £190.00 plus an 80mile round trip.
I almost felt guilty as the guy was very green about using the internet & hadn't even posted a picture. But hay-ho, if that's what he wanted i wasn't arguing.
Have a look around at the websites, Preloved, gumtree, friday adds, free adds & of course ebay. My one was on Preloved & nowhere else.
There are some auction sites that are worth getting on the mailing list as most are larger machines, but very often they do small bankrupt workshops at great prices.

Good luck.

Back