Bandsaw fettling. (Perform CCBB)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice, I will sort out new blades. I notice that Tuff Saws do a number of different types, any idea what type I should go for. Sorry for all the questions but this is my first bandsaw and as you can tell I am a complete novice.

Email Ian with details of what sort of things you want to do and he will advise on blade type.

He really is a top bloke!

Bob

tsg":395aavhw said:
I notice that Tuff Saws do a number of different types, any idea what type I should go for.

no - but that's because I don't know what you are aiming to do with it!

discuss it with Ian as suggested but don't go for a compromise; they really don't work on bandsaws

I'd echo the comment about Ian at Tuff Saws. After cutting large quantities of laminate flooring with the blade that came with my bandsaw it was blunt and useless. Phoned Ian who was busy but said he'd phone back. True to his word he phoned back later and I explained what I wanted to do on the saw. Not only did he recomend a blade but gave me the pros and cons of the alternatives. I ended up spending more (M42 blade) than perhaps if I'd chosen a blade for myself but am very pleased with the result.

Tony Comber

I know it's been a couple of months since I asked the questions but I have finally got it sorted. Thanks to everyone that has given me advice, I have bought Steve's DVDs and yesterday took possession of 2 new blades from Tuff Saws.

Just in case anyone looks at this thread in the future, I set up my saw in accordance with the manual, then again with information I found on the internet, and again once I had got Steve Maskery's DVDs.

It still wasn't cutting properly so I ordered new blades from Tuff Saws (on advice from this forum) which arrived yesterday. It took me about an hour to set the saw up again with the new blade but the result is excellent. I thought I had bought a dud, but with the new blade it cuts perfectly straight against the fence, which means I can resaw boards and do about whatever I want. A NEW BLADE IS THE WAY TO GO.

Thanks again for the advice

Paul

Back