Bandsaw choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Tarling

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Having joined in the 'where are all the bandsaws' thread, I've now managed to locate two of interest to me - the Record Power Sabre 350 and the Scheppach Basa 4 - both of similar size, but a fair difference in price. To me, the Basa 4 wins out on price and throat depth, whereas the Sabre 350 has cast iron wheels and is probably of slightly higher quality all round, so does anyone here feel it's really worth paying the extra for the Sabre 350. or is the Basa 4 going to be 'good enough'? I'm merely a hobbyist and don't need the saw for commercial purposes - I'm already using a Basa 3, but have found I could use a wider throat on occasion, though I'm fairly happy with the machine otherwise. Opinions very welcome! :)

G.

Not seen or used a Basa, but I was put off when considering, by the apparently wide footprint. Don't know if that's fair, or accurate, but in my limited knowledge, seemed a slight neg.

Unless space is a serious issue, to me, a wide footprint is a positive, lending stability to the machine

Save up for the Hammer N4400 . Its the only bandsaw with a 4 HP single phase motor and you will be glad when you start resawing boards.

Save up for the Hammer N4400 . Its the only bandsaw with a 4 HP single phase motor and you will be glad when you start resawing boards.

RECIPIO

I've been looking to buy a one-off "lifetime purchase" of a top bandsaw (e.g. Laguna). This Hammer option looks interesting but I can't find it for sale on-line.

Any ideas ?

I'm surprised , They are made in Austria so should be in stock. Perhaps contact the Felder UK group ?

ChrisMa,

You won't find Felder/Hammer online anywhere, you have to purchase direct from Felder UK, they also don't produce price lists as such. Don't be put of by this (I know I was initially), register on their website to reveal prices or contact Russell Jones (he deals with non VAT customers ie hobbyists) [email protected], - you will not be bombarded with follow up sales pitches

Hammer stuff is not cheap and Felder even less so, but I'm more than happy with the quality.

By registering on their website you will be notified of their special offers, typically every spring and autumn, that's how I purchased a discounted N4400.

Jon

Thanks Jon.

I'm already registered as I looked at their products a few years ago. Looks like you have to send a quote request to get a price ... have done so.

The setup here is not commercial but serious enough for a quality piece of kit. I'm getting on a little and I only want to buy one bandsaw ... a good one.

It will be used mainly for resawing and some template development on thinner material.

The Laguna 18" and the Record Sabre 450 are the only other bandsaws I've taken a serious look at so far.

Thanks Jon.

I'm already registered as I looked at their products a few years ago. Looks like you have to send a quote request to get a price ... have done so.

The setup here is not commercial but serious enough for a quality piece of kit. I'm getting on a little and I only want to buy one bandsaw ... a good one.

It will be used mainly for resawing and some template development on thinner material.

The Laguna 18" and the Record Sabre 450 are the only other bandsaws I've taken a serious look at so far.

The Sabre 350 is for general hobbyists and the Sabre 450 is designed for Jazz tuners

I have the Sabre 350 and have no issues with it personally.

Last edited:
I got the spring promotion booklet. The prices are in Euros but it will give you a rough idea.

Attachments

• 16233995218563078813836624506887.jpg
    16233995218563078813836624506887.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 85
Back