Bandsaw boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said earlier I use a 1/4" 6 skip.

A tip to help with tighter curves is to get a sparpening stone, I use one of my Axminster diamond stones, and while the saw is running VERY carefully take the absolute rear corners off of the blade, BUT be careful you don't get anything near the front of the blade CAUSE IT BITES! Don't put any real pressure on the blade or you will push it out of the guides. It only takes a moment to do and it makes a big difference..

BUT remember, take care doing it !!!

Thanks for the pictures John, I shall have a go at my own. :eek:ccasion5:

Lewis, I did my first box with a 3/8 blade and yes, it is really too big. I would suggest a 1/4 is the largest to go for on a box and an 1/8 would be even better.

My first two bandsaw boxes made from a single Silver Birch log. The small one is finished with Teak oil, the large one with Danish oil.

IMG00396-20120305-1541.jpg

IMG00394-20120305-1540.jpg

IMG00399-20120305-1542.jpg

Well they look good to me Martyn. Easy ain't they :mrgreen: I look forward to the next lot :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't want to teach you how to suck eggs, but I hope that you know that spalted woods are not good for your health and you really need a good dust mask when cutting or turning them. I have a positive pressure mask and face protection, JSP if I remember the make correctly, and it's worth its weight in health.

What glue did you use on them? I normally use ordinary PVA and loads of 'F' clamps. They don't give a lot of pressure, but you don't really need it..

Thanks John! Yeah they were dead easy, I'm gonna get real ambitious with the next one. I used wood glue and loads of rubber bands.

I did wear a face mask because I saw that on the rest of the logs I have there is a mold growth that follows the lines in the log, so I presumed it was something that would release spores and play havoc with my lungs. I'm wondering whether to let the mold on the other logs develop to increase the spalting, or to clean it off and seal the logs? What does everyone think?

I would say that they are about as spalted as they need to be. Much more and you may loose them and that would be a pity. It looks too good to be left to a 'flatty' and us turners should have all the stuff like that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But I'll let you have this lot, being as how far away you are :shock:

I'll throw a couple of logs in the boot of the car, if ever I'm passing I'll drop them off for you John! 8)

Back