Bandsaw blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at perhaps getting the Record BS300E bandsaw. I've been told their blades are pretty useless, if so, what make of blade would you recommend?

Tuffsaws. Ian is a brilliant chap a delight to deal with and a true gentleman

I can confirm that the blades that come with a Record bandsaw are next to useless and initially makes you think it is a shietee machine, fit a Tuffsaw blade for an instant transformation.

I use Beverstock blades. Never had any problems. Very helpful over the phone and delivery within 24hours

The blades you want will depend upon what you are cutting regularly. Tight curves will want a narrower blade. Thicker material will want less teeth

I'm only a hobbyist, but I dipped my toes into the world of bandsaws last Jan (I think?) with a Lidl Parkside bandsaw - I replaced the blade on that with a Tuffsaws, and it was surprisingly capable. I then upgraded to a 2nd hand Record Power BS250, and again fitted Tuffsaws blades. And just recently, I picked up a 2nd hand Record Power BS12, and also fitted Tuffsaws blades. So I don't know if that counts as one vote, or three? ;-)

Which blade you use depends on what you'll be cutting. I have a 5/8" 4TPI which is great for straight cuts, and a 1/4" 4TPI for cutting circles (bowl blanks for my lathe - this is the reason I wanted a larger capacity saw and upgraded through 3 saws in the space of 12 months!!). But Tuffsaws are really helpful, so if you contact them and explain what you want to cut, they'll advise. Great service and quick delivery, and they really improved each machine I've used them on.

As a hobbyist and for general purpose use, which couple of their blades would you recommend I should start with?
If you are not doing a resaw on your bandsaw, go for a 1/4" one for tight curves,
3/8" for general use and perhaps a 1/2" or a 5/8th for ripping. Generally for ripping and resawing you go for the widest blade your bandsaw can tension.

Regarding tpi, ask Ian and he will guide you well.

If in a pinch, go for one narrow one for curves and one for ripping. That covers you well.

Or go for 3/8" and see what your projects demand

I exchanged several emails with Ian after he agreed to make one last shipment out of the UK. I spent just under £400 on a bulk buy of 13 blades for my Record Power BS350S bandsaw since I will likely not be able to buy directly from him again. Since I don't know what I will be cutting over the next few years, I asked Ian to make the recommendations. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Here are the blades Ian recommended for me. I bought two of each, except for the 3/4-inch.

1/4-inch 6TPI M42
1/4-inch 10/14TPI Vari-Tooth M42
3/8-inch 4 TPI M42
3/8-inch 8TPI M42
1/2-inch 3TPI M42
5/8-inch 3TPI Extra Set SuperTuff Sabrecut
3/4-inch 3TPI Extra Set SuperTuff Sabrecut

I haven't used the 3/4-inch blade yet because I doubt the BS350 will be able to tension it properly. However, the 1/2-inch 3TPI M42 blade is great for fast and effortless resawing of 9-inch wide beech slabs.

+ another "99" (!) for Tuffsaws. Like MikeK, I regret that I can no longer buy them from him (without going to UK myself).

Harking to another thread to which I've just posted, my "virtually useless" bench top Einhell band saw was transformed into something at least capable of cutting wood pretty accurately by fitting Tuffsaw blades (sizes as advised by Ian).

As an aside, it's a great pity that Brexit (I guess) has cut a good one-man (?) business off from doing business outside the UK. My purchases from Ian were on-line/E-mail and pre-Brexit

Last edited:
I haven't used the 3/4-inch blade yet because I doubt the BS350 will be able to tension it properly.
Asking the obvious, why buy a blade that you cannot fully tension? My BS400 is supposed to do a 1 inch blade but it cannot tension them enough so I use the 3/4 supertuff premium which are apparently thinner so can be tensioned and I think this is the limit for the 400.

Asking the obvious, why buy a blade that you cannot fully tension? My BS400 is supposed to do a 1 inch blade but it cannot tension them enough so I use the 3/4 supertuff premium which are apparently thinner so can be tensioned and I think this is the limit for the 400.

Fair question. I foolishly believed the RP specs for the BS350S despite assurances from Ian that the bandsaw might not properly tension any 3/4-inch blade. My bandsaw didn't ship with a 3/4-inch blade, so I didn't have a reasonable point of reference. It wasn't until I had the TuffSaw blade in hand and tried to tension it that I realized it might not be possible. It was £15.50 experiment that had predictable results. The 1/2-inch M42 blade does what I wanted to do with the 3/4-inch blade, so I am happy.

Those m42 blades are really great, they just keep going and do not dull easy so great for those mdf templates and cutting ply which I have found do dull the normal blades.

Back