Bandsaw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Karacsonyi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I have only ever used bandsaw blades from Axminster. I have no complaints about them.

Due to the Brexit no deal possibility, and uncertainty and not living in the U.K., I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other brands, which I may be able to spur S in mainland Europe.

My bandsaw usage is mainly ripping veneers in hardwoods. Cutting tenons, occasional cross cuts.

Thanks,

Mark N.

@Alveston Born: Can I suggest you try Dictum Tools in München, Germany? I haven't bought band saw blades from them (though I note from their latest catalogue that they do stock Axminster blades, amongst other brands) but I have bought from them several times, both in person and by Internet. They are VERY reliable and efficient, and if your German isn't too good, both their catalogues and web site are available in English. Usual disclaimers.

Link:

www dot dictum dot com

HTH

@Alveston Born: Can I suggest you try Dictum Tools in München, Germany? I haven't bought band saw blades from them (though I note from their latest catalogue that they do stock Axminster blades, amongst other brands) but I have bought from them several times, both in person and by Internet. They are VERY reliable and efficient, and if your German isn't too good, both their catalogues and web site are available in English. Usual disclaimers.

Link:

www dot dictum dot com

HTH

Thanks, I do use them. Their Axminster blades are a little too small, I wrote to them. They won’t stock the larger ones.

Oh well done, how did the price compare I’ve never really checked that I just know that they work well. I will check Tilpear out as well.

Newbie here but I can so recommend Ian @ Tuff Saws. He responded to my silly person basic questions with patience and kidness, never patronising and offering advice even where that might have cost him a sale. And the blades are excellent (in my ever so limited experience) though even those dull when accidentally run against a metal fence (said I was dumb)!

Thanks all. Strange I created this thread, and it came up under another NIC, one I created years ago and never used. Will strive to get it deleted.

Newbie here but I can so recommend Ian @ Tuff Saws. He responded to my silly person basic questions with patience and kidness, never patronising and offering advice even where that might have cost him a sale. And the blades are excellent (in my ever so limited experience) though even those dull when accidentally run against a metal fence (said I was dumb)!

Thanks Sru,

My issue is sourcing them when and if there is a hardcore Brexit, as I no longer live in the UK. Have bookmarked your nominee regardless.

I'd like to endorse the comment about Ian at Tuffsaws. Exactly my own experience with Ian too. BUT the last time I checked he was NOT selling to other countries (not sure off hand whether that was just "EU countries" or everywhere else as well).

I quite agree that until Brexit is - finally!!! - done and dusted, it's going to pretty difficult for UK-based customers to buy from EU countries (and for UK suppliers to sell into EU countries). Especially for small "one man band" sellers like Tuffsaws I can well understand a decision to at least hold off until clarity has - at last - "dawned". Must be more complicated than can be easily handled.

But for those currently not living in UK but living in EU countries (or in non-EU countries come to that - like me) I GUESS that sales can/will go on pretty much as before, regardless what what happens with Brexit.

Hope so anyway. :)

I'd like to endorse the comment about Ian at Tuffsaws. Exactly my own experience with Ian too. BUT the last time I checked he was NOT selling to other countries (not sure off hand whether that was just "EU countries" or everywhere else as well).
Then he must have changed his policies, as I got mine sent to Japan .

just been to his site and there is a banner saying
“Please note that we are only shipping to UK addresses at the present time.”

OK, the 2nd notice is what I saw - I haven't actually ordered from Ian for some time. But I think just a note for non-UK residents that it MAY be difficult for him to send to EU residents at present is worthwhile.

I think that notice went up when full covid lockdown started - rather than a Brexit thing. i think it was because of reduced working capacity and only sending deliveries out less frequently. For folks overseas, I would email Ian at tuffsaws and get the current position.

oh and another one here who can endorse their blades - I don't go anywhere else.

I bought some blades from Ian in August, and I might be the last non-UK customer for him. He agreed to make one order for me, so I decided to make it a big order. I bought 13 blades, which included a mix of 1/4-inch to 5/8-inch M42 blades and a 3/4-inch Sabrecut blade. Ian told me the uncertanties of the "B" word, increased shipping costs, and lost packages made it too much for his small shop to absorb.

Back