Bandsaw blades alternative to Tuffsaw(Marvelous blades)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domingos

Established Member
Reaction score
As some may know Tuffsaws is not taking any orders, and even if it was it wouldn't take mine as it's not shipping outside of the UK anymore(insert sad crying face). I need to find somewhere that sells Good!! small blades(1425mm or 56 1/8 ") for a bandsaw and ships them to Portugal without costing an arm and a leg in shipping. Can someone give suggestions? Websites are welcome too. I checked Axminster but the blades there cost almost 1.5 of what they cost in Tuffsaws(which I have nothing but love for)

Can anyone help? It's a real problem finding a good reliable source here in Portugal

I have used Beverstock blades Ltd and the blades are very good and they ship to Europe.
Unfortunately it seems that all UK purchased good attract extra duty, plus admin fees. It's odd, because I can buy any amount of stuff from anywhere else in the world without extra charges and often do. If I was uncharitable I might think the EU were doing it on purpose - but let's not turn this into a Brexit thread.

Hi Domingos, no is the simple answer. I'll pm him as he lives in Switzerland and has good language links. Maybe he can help with translation for the German site. In the mean time maybe use Powertools suggestion?

Hi

Perhaps @MikeK may be able to assist with the lingo as he resides in the Germany.

My German is not what it should be, but here is a translation of the terms used on the Sägeblatt-Shop site:

Bandsägeblätter = Bandsaw blades
Länge = Length in mm
Breite = Width in mm
Dicke = Thickness in mm
ZpZ (Zähne pro Zoll) = Teeth per inch
Zahnabstand = Distance between teeth points in mm (alternate unit of measurement for teeth per inch)

Schwedenstahl = Swedish steel
Uddeholm = just what it says
Hartmetall = Carbide steel
Holz = Wood
Baugewerbe = Construction (building materials)
Fleisch = Flesh (for the meat industry)

M42 blades are available, but they are in the metal section, not the wood. In the wood section the choices are Flexback carbon steel and Uddeholm.

I priced out some blades for my Record Power BS350S bandsaw, which takes a 2630mm long blade. Listed below are close equivalents of 3/4, 1/2, and 3/8-inch blades based on the menu selections. Some blade width and thickness selections had only one or two TPI choices.

M42 (minimum purchase of five blades):
20mm wide, 0.9mm thick, 3 teeth per inch
€103.06 (about €20.61 each)

13mm wide, 0.65mm thick, 6 teeth per inch

6mm wide, 0.9mm thick, 6 teeth per inch
€84.61 (about €16.92 each)

Uddeholm steel:
20mm wide, 0.8mm thick, 8mm tooth spacing (about 3 teeth per inch)
€16.50 each

12mm wide, 0.5mm thick, 6mm tooth spacing (about 4 teeth per inch)
€16.32 each

8mm wide, 0.5mm thick, 4mm tooth spacing (about 6 teeth per inch)
€16.32 each

Carbon steel:
20mm wide, 0.8mm thick, 4 teeth per inch (only choice available for width and thickness selected)
€17.53 each

€16.15 each

8mm wide, 0.65mm thick, 6 teeth per inch
€15.37 each

What are the main differences between Carbon, m42 and Uddeholm(which I imagine to be a company)steels? I usually cut wood up to 2 inches thick and with curves

The carbon steel blade is the most common type of blade, and is what normally ships with bandsaws. There are variations of the carbon steel blade that have hardened points for longer wear, but these can't be resharpened or set when they start to wear down.

The M42 blade is a bi-metal construction that has a layer of M42 tool steel welded to a flexible backer. These are normally used for cutting metal, but work great for wood and last three to five times longer than normal carbon steel blades.

I've never heard of Uddeholm steel, but assume its a version of the Swedish steel. Based on what I have read, these blades are better than carbon steel blades.

I was fortunate enough to be one of Ian's (Tuff Saws) last European customers last year and bought a lot of M42 blades for my saw.

Hi all

New to the forum and a new bandsaw user as well. I live in French Guiana, one of France's overseas territories. Because I work exclusively with local tropical hardwoods, I have been advised to use carbide-tipped or M42 blades on my bandsaw because of their durability relative to standard carbon steel blades.

I have placed an order with Ian @ Tuffsaws for bimetal blades to be delivered in the UK. I'll either collect them or have them sent to me as part of a larger shipment of tools (things are expensive and/or hard to source here so even with increased shipping costs it remains economical).

Anyway, I thought that people might be interested to know about some very reasonably priced carbide-tipped bandsaw blades available from the German company Bandsaegenprofis (check their website - I can't post links yet). Their 'X-Cut' blades are available in either 20mm or 30mm widths and are relatively thin at 0.6mm. The teeth configuaration is vari-tooth 12/14/16, which is equivalent to 1.6/1.8/2.1 TPI. They have a thin kerf of 1.5-1.8mm. From the reviews I've read, they seem to leave an excellent finish. They are resharpenable up to 5 times apparently (you can send them back to the manufacturer to have this done properly). The 20mm blade (X-Cut HW20-6) is suitable for use with saws that accept a blade length of 2500mm+. They weld to custom lengths. I've ordered one of these for delivery in (mainland) France and will be happy to report back once I have my saw set up later this summer.

Forgot to mention that email exchange with Bandsaegenprofis is best done in German but I've found that using the excellent online translator Deepl works a treat. They respond quickly and I didn't have any issues placing the order.

Hi and welcome Bojam, out of interest, are you treated as just another department in France or like a foreign country re posting stuff from within France.

Hi Droogs and thanks for the welcome.

Posting a packet/parcel from metropolitan France to Guyane is definitely more expensive than posting within departments on the mainland. Not sure if there are prefential rates or whether it is as expensive as say posting from France to Brazil or Suriname (the countries either side of us).

Pre-Brexit I had some big tool orders from Axminster (UK) delivered out here and the shipping by air freight was not cheap. But, as I say, the cost of tools out here can be daft (up to 3 times more expensive for the equivalent item in the UK) so it was still worth it. Shipping costs from the UK have risen but it's difficult to say how much of that is Brexit related and how much is down to Covid and the general disruption to global trade and logistics.

My German is not what it should be, but here is a translation of the terms used on the Sägeblatt-Shop site:

Bandsägeblätter = Bandsaw blades
Länge = Length in mm
Breite = Width in mm
Dicke = Thickness in mm
ZpZ (Zähne pro Zoll) = Teeth per inch
Zahnabstand = Distance between teeth points in mm (alternate unit of measurement for teeth per inch)

Schwedenstahl = Swedish steel
Uddeholm = just what it says
Hartmetall = Carbide steel
Holz = Wood
Baugewerbe = Construction (building materials)
Fleisch = Flesh (for the meat industry)

M42 blades are available, but they are in the metal section, not the wood. In the wood section the choices are Flexback carbon steel and Uddeholm.

I priced out some blades for my Record Power BS350S bandsaw, which takes a 2630mm long blade. Listed below are close equivalents of 3/4, 1/2, and 3/8-inch blades based on the menu selections. Some blade width and thickness selections had only one or two TPI choices.

M42 (minimum purchase of five blades):
20mm wide, 0.9mm thick, 3 teeth per inch

6mm wide, 0.9mm thick, 6 teeth per inch
€84.61 (about €16.92 each)

Uddeholm steel:
20mm wide, 0.8mm thick, 8mm tooth spacing (about 3 teeth per inch)
€16.50 each

12mm wide, 0.5mm thick, 6mm tooth spacing (about 4 teeth per inch)
€16.32 each

8mm wide, 0.5mm thick, 4mm tooth spacing (about 6 teeth per inch)
€16.32 each

Carbon steel:
20mm wide, 0.8mm thick, 4 teeth per inch (only choice available for width and thickness selected)
€17.53 each

€16.15 each

8mm wide, 0.65mm thick, 6 teeth per inch
€15.37 each
The M42 blades will probably have tooth designed for metal, not wood.

The M42 blades will probably have tooth designed for metal, not wood.

Bandsaegenprofis - the German manufacturer of the carbide-toothed blades I mentioned above - also do M42 blades. But when I enquired they said that they weren't suitable for use with wood. They said "they blacken the wood and burn it. These belts run through water at a different speed and cooling". So clearly meant for metal.

Anyone know of a good supplier of M42 blades for wood in the EU? Forezienne (French manufacturer) make good blades apparently but their bi-metal range seems to be only for metal.

I have bought m42 wood blades from tuffsaws. Just emailed him with what I was after and he sent me the links to order from.
the carbide tipped blades Look interesting

Latest posts

Back