Bandsaw Blade tracking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Since I replaced the blade supplied with my Elektra Beckum 250 ( 3/8") with a 1/2" blade I'm having trouble getting it centered on the bottom wheel.

I'm following the guides for replacing a blade but when I get it centered on the top wheel ok its only ( at best) 3/4's on the bottom wheel ( protruding off the front of the wheel.

I understand that the bottom wheel is factory set so presumably that can't be wrong, but when I centre it on the bottom wheel its half way off the back of the top one.

Does anyone know where I am going wrong or have any ideas

Sorry I havent got a solution to your problem, you probably checked the forum & thought "ah great, somebody has replied with the answer" :)

I have the same problem on my Record RSBS-14, its not a major problem & the blade is still within the rubber section on the wheels but it would be nice to have it in dead centre of both top & bottom wheel, you either get the top centred or the bottom, very weird.

Nick :wink:

Nick

This question was asked on the Record web site: -

"I have just bought a rsbs 14 bandsaw but am having problems with the blade tracking. I can alter the tracking of the blade (3/4") on the top wheel but the blade wont centralise on the bottom wheel. ie with it centred on the top wheel the teeth protrude off the front of the bottom wheel."

The reply FROM Record Power: -

"on the rsbs 14 the 3/4 blade is the maximum width .
so long as the teeth are not running on the aluminium wheel it will not effect the performance or the life of the blade."

As yours is still within the rubber section then it sounds ok. You can always post a question on the Record web site in their bandsaw section. Record are excellent in getting back to you.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/tisql/forum.asp?forumid=4

Cheers
Neil

There is an excellent book called "The Bandsaw Handbook" which explores all aspects of the bandsaw, and it's set up etc.

It's ok for the blade not to track centrally is stated previously, but don't assume that the wheels are factory set and therefore must be ok. The bandsaw book tells you how to check the wheels for alignment and that they are in the same plane etc...

Regards,
Mark

Ah right, thanks for pointing that post out to me, yes it doesnt seem anything to worry about, its within the rubber area so its ok.

[Billzee] I know you said your blade is off the wheel a little also but is it within the rubber area? if not then you might need to adjust one of the wheels for alignment, ive looked on mine & it probably wouldnt be too hard but my one is within the rubber area so im going to leave well alone.

Hi Norm Fan

As you said, Saw the reply, thought all my probs were over :lol: ( if only :) )

On the bottom wheel the rubber tyre covers about 4/5 of the surface area of the wheel perimiter, and the blade has about a fifth of its width riding off the front of the wheel ( in thin air), so that makes about 3/5 of the blade actually on the tire ( sheesh, this maths is hard work).

It has seemed all right like this ( works ok). Its just that I got Lonnie Birds book 'the bandsaw Book' out of the library and he makes a point about the blade being centered so as to get even wear on the tyre. He says nothing about the bottom wheel though. It seems to me that the bottom wheel must be out of line.
But I'm a bit worried about messing with it in case I cock it up more :shock:

Anyone out there ever messed with the bottom wheel line up??

Whenever you figure out how to fix it please let me know. I have the same saw and the same problem. I have tried almost everything but it still works fine even with the blade slightly off the bottom wheel. :?

Since the saw is to small and underpowered for resawing I have changed the blade to a 1/4" 6 point which can cut finer curves with less marking on the wood.

Although this saw does its job okay ( within its size limitations) with hindsight I would have waited and bought something that has more power and able to take a wider blade.

Back