Bandsaw Blade Tolerances

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
Since getting my ‘new to me’ Startrite 352 I’ve been fettling it whilst using the original blade.

Having got it set up I’ve ordered and received two new bandsaw blades, from Axminster.

The 1/2” blade when installed runs with a pulsing forwards motion. Having fiddled some more with wheels and tyres I’ve finally identified it’s the blade. The blade tracks about 0.5mm in front of the thrust rods but when the weld passes the thrust rid the gap increases to about 1.5mm. Thus I’ve concluded the blade is not welded straight.

The second blade tracks much better but still is out fractionally at the weld, but by less than 0.5mm.

What level of tolerance would be expected. Do people think I should return or am I expecting too much of a bandsaw blade? I appreciate it’s not a super accurate tool.

Fitz.

I've had one blade like that, and just sent it back. It's not worth the hassle trying to use a blade which keeps kicking your workpiece.

They shouldn’t ‘pulse’, if you can see it / feel it when sawing they were not welded correctly and as Mike has highlighted should be sent back.
Just buy a Tuffsaw blade.

If you take the blade off and lay the weld flat on the bench you will able to see clearly what is wrong.
If it is the blade, send it back.I've seen blades welded and it aint rocket science, thats just down to carelessness.
Or, if thats hassle to you, keep it and use it for rough work where you just dont care what the finish is.

deema":1f1qwj6c said:
They shouldn’t ‘pulse’, if you can see it / feel it when sawing they were not welded correctly and as Mike has highlighted should be sent back.
Just buy a Tuffsaw blade.
No better than Axminster blades and I've used both. If it's a faulty weld, send it back and get a replacement - Rob

There's no excuse for a mis-aligned weld, just a case of not enough care in clamping the blade correctly seated in the welding vice jaws.

Afraid it is all too easy to get it wrong if you are using a 'spot' welder incorporated in the bandsaw body (the only way I've done it) as the blade material can be deflected by obstructions, but a dedicated welding station should not impose those sort of influences.

Back