bandsaw blade tension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustjon

Established Member
Reaction score
Should the tension on a bandsaw blade be released at the end of each working day or should this be done only when the saw is not being used for a while? My blades don't last very long.

I was told to release the tension if I wasn't using it after a week. That was after a blade broke but the breaking could have been down to a number of factors.

(from an earlier thread)

H&S for bandsaws usage say the blade tension must be released at the end of each working day.

Whereas Axminster say ...

"Do not release the tension on the saw blade when work is complete. The blades and the main saw
frame do not respond kindly to constant changes in stress and tension. Only release the tension to
change the blade or if the blade is to be removed because the machine is to be ‘mothballed’ for a
lengthy time period. (The blade in tension over a long period of non-use will cause the tyres to
develop ‘flat’ spots)."

Take your pick :)

This one usually raises tempers nearly as much as honing jigs versus freehand. I'll follow this thread with interest!

By the way Jensmith, I see from your signature you make miniatures, would that mean you're using something well out of the ordinary like a 1/8" blade?

I've never released the blade tension on my startrite unless changing blade, and often leave it for weeks, even months sometimes, between uses and never had problems with blades breaking or as far as I know, any flat spots on the tyres.......

Cheers, Paul

+1 for my Startrite too.

Just to stoke the fires of argument, is it possible that tensioning/releasing repeatedly is more likely to cause fatige fractures than leaving it tensioned all the time? Think how you can break a piece of steel by repeated bending?
But then, a bandaw blade in use is being bent/straightened all the time anyway...............????

I always do (release), even on-the-run during the day. It's become a habit, but I know others who never do.
However, the Axi advice above I would challenge. The steel alloys used in blades are designed to take tension - cycling a blade through the tensioning cycle very many times indeed should not come close to causing failure. As for the stress and release on the actual machine, it is insignificant relatively. It's a bit like why car springs don't break too often.
The main reason I slack mine off (all the time almost) is for the sake of the bands on the wheels, and bearing load (that IS considerable), plus the fact I don't like to leave any machine stressed unnecessarily.
But I do agree it will be a bit like jig v freehand... and it is only the result that matters, is it not?

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a Scheppack basato 3, the blade I am having problems with is 3tpi skip, four have broken in the past six month. I believe that I am using the blade as should be, the guy I buy the blades from suggested that I am using the saw wrong or not relieving the tension. Should I change my working practice or my blade supplier.

sawdustjon":pdr8f5v7 said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I have a Scheppack basato 3, the blade I am having problems with is 3tpi skip, four have broken in the past six month. I believe that I am using the blade as should be, the guy I buy the blades from suggested that I am using the saw wrong or not relieving the tension. Should I change my working practice or my blade supplier.

You have a problem, but it's not from not releasing the tension. Are the blades breaking at the weld? Are they showing any other signs of damage (kinks, etc)? Any issues with your guides?

If the blades are breaking at the weld, your problem is your supplier.

Kirk

custard":143qw1d3 said:
By the way Jensmith, I see from your signature you make miniatures, would that mean you're using something well out of the ordinary like a 1/8" blade?

No, not really. I use fine toothed blades to minimise sanding but standard in width and thickness.

Back