Bandsaw blade movement fore and aft

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this in my bandsaw thread in Buying Advice but I'll ask again here as I didn't get any replies there. Or maybe nobody has any idea what it could be.

It's with a 5/8ths blade on a Record BS350 and appears as a wobble front to back. Any ideas what would cause such movement? It's only this (new) blade that's doing it so guess it's the blade. The weld looks fine as I look at it on the saw but doubt if I'd know if it wasn't fine. I've emailed to ask Ian at Tuffsaws but guess he's busy.

Here's a 4 sec video of it, not sure it's any help.
https://vimeo.com/243186364

Thanks for any thoughts.

Chris

Fill in the following blanks;
O-------
C---------
D-------

C'mon, if thats the worst your bandsaw can do....

Put a straight edge along the back of the blade where the weld is to see if the join is straight but as sunnybob says, that's nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the replies. The joint is about 1 mm out, I don't think it really shows in that video. Cutting to a shoulder line for tenons, it was like having two sets of teeth, one would arrive at the line, the other wouldn't. I sent a photo to Tuffsaws and he's sending a replacement - brilliant service, and he even pointed out that my table isn't square front to back!

It's good to see that Ian's customary excellent service resolved the problem, but wobble like this can also be caused by debris on the tyres. Wet softwoods are best at building up debris in my experience, all held on very firmly by copious amounts of pine resin!
Damaged or unevenly worn tyres can also cause a wobble.
Duncan

Replacement blade arrived prompt Thursday, just fitted it and it's perfect. Definitely a Tuffsaws fan now.

Back