Bandsaw blade flutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mention what blades you are using but not what machine unless I have overlooked that info, it may help to know make and model because it gives an idea as to the machines capability and if there are known issues. Bandsaws can be really finicky and need that extra attention to detail to keep them running at their best and there are a lot of variables but with your symptoms it does point to tension. My BS400 states it can use a 1 inch blade but I find the machine cannot tension this size of blade and as a result it delivers very poor cuts.
It's a BS300

If the 300 is anything like the 400 then the inbuilt tension scale is as much use as a chocolate teapot, with a 3/4 blade tensioned so it runs correctly the scale showed I was over that required for a 1 inch blade.

Take a look at this video

If you cannot tension that flutter out then maybe a new spring.

What have you used the blades for cutting?
Could be possible if you’ve been cutting a load of tight radius curves that you’ve affected the blades.

If just straight rips, and the blade is tracking properly on the wheels I’d go back to tension

Have you emailed Ian at tuffsaws to get his views?

So are we saying that even if the blade is twisted, enough tension should straighten it out? so even if it did get a little skewiff as I was coiling it (usually takes me 2-3 attempts :p ) that would be corrected with tension?

What have you used the blades for cutting?
Could be possible if you’ve been cutting a load of tight radius curves that you’ve affected the blades.

If just straight rips, and the blade is tracking properly on the wheels I’d go back to tension

Have you emailed Ian at tuffsaws to get his views?

Yep, it was used for cutting bowl blanks, not many, maybe 6 or so 8-10" blanks? It was also used for straight cuts without issue. But if that was the problem, wouldn't I have noticed that as I was using it?

I had thought about asking Ian, but my blades are all mixed now, I have no idea which ones came from Axminster vs Tuffsaws. But from now on I will pay more attention to this issue so I know which blade came from where.

Everyone seems very keen to blame the machine, however this really doesn't explain why your new blades are fine, whilst ones you have folded and stored are not. Sounds to me like the issue is with the blade. If it has become distorted it should be fairly obvious. Try placing the blade on a flat surface and then run a square along side it. Any kinks should be obvious. And it should lay flat, if it sits up from the surface by any appreciable amount then that is not good. The issue is that although they are springy, there is a limit to their elasticity. Bend it beyond a certain point and it won't come back straight. I repair watches as a hobby and frequently encounter issues with watchsprings being out of shape. Very similar, all be it on a much smaller scale. Very difficult to correct once it has been twisted or bent beyond its elastic tolerance, for want of a better expression. I suspect you may have done something while folding it up. As I said in an earlier post I now just hang them on the wall. Partly because I had similar issues, which this solved, and partly because I can't be bothered with folding them up. I came to the conclusion that it was my folding technique that was at fault, though to this day I have no idea what I was doing wrong. Proof for me was to get a brand new tuffsaw blade and lay it on the bench, dead flat and at right angles all the way round. Then an identical blade, but folded after use by yours truly. This one sat unevenly, raised up at opposite sides, although it would track perfectly well it fluttered big time, and no amount of tensioning would get rid of it.

Everyone seems very keen to blame the machine, however this really doesn't explain why your new blades are fine, whilst ones you have folded and stored are not. Sounds to me like the issue is with the blade. If it has become distorted it should be fairly obvious. Try placing the blade on a flat surface and then run a square along side it. Any kinks should be obvious. And it should lay flat, if it sits up from the surface by any appreciable amount then that is not good. The issue is that although they are springy, there is a limit to their elasticity. Bend it beyond a certain point and it won't come back straight. I repair watches as a hobby and frequently encounter issues with watchsprings being out of shape. Very similar, all be it on a much smaller scale. Very difficult to correct once it has been twisted or bent beyond its elastic tolerance, for want of a better expression. I suspect you may have done something while folding it up. As I said in an earlier post I now just hang them on the wall. Partly because I had similar issues, which this solved, and partly because I can't be bothered with folding them up. I came to the conclusion that it was my folding technique that was at fault, though to this day I have no idea what I was doing wrong. Proof for me was to get a brand new tuffsaw blade and lay it on the bench, dead flat and at right angles all the way round. Then an identical blade, but folded after use by yours truly. This one sat unevenly, raised up at opposite sides, although it would track perfectly well it fluttered big time, and no amount of tensioning would get rid of it.

I know the blades are twisted, I mentioned that in the first post. So I think I have the same situation as you, an error in the way they're being folded. :(

If you've gone beyond the threshold if using these blades for cutting curves
Helpful diagram stolen from Deema's recent postings
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/bandsaw-blade-guide-theory.135481/#post-1553039
E5D8DAD0-51B0-47C5-AC9A-82C4FA29148A.jpeg

then that would be likely more so a reason compared to folding the blade,
as some sellers double coil their blades.
So it could be a matter of trying to attain straight cutting with the fence, using a blade what has compressed set makes it a more likely culprit for warping a blade?

I cannot see how you are damaging a blade by folding, once given the little twist they just curl up into a loop. How much force are you using?

I cannot see how you are damaging a blade by folding, once given the little twist they just curl up into a loop. How much force are you using?
I agree, I couldn't understand it, but by process of elimination came to the conclusion that it must be down to something I was doing as it only happened with blades I had folded myself. For me at any rate life is too short to worry about it when I can just hang them on the wall. Still irritated me that I couldn't work out where I was going wrong though :)

I think I'm going to stop folding, and just hang my blades. I always struggle with folding, partly because I only do it about twice a year, and partly because the blades on my Inca are so short.
In the meantime, I'm planning to disassemble my Inca to see if I can find a similar spring. I object to having to remortgage to buy the Inca part from France. Someone posted a link to Berger tools a while back, and I'll bet they stock something that'll fit.

This works for me when I fold my blades.
Hold in right hand
Stand on the blade
Twist ninety degrees
Push blade down to floor level

Never had a problem with them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back