Bandsaw blade brazing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for info on silver brazing bandsaw blades, I did try my stick welder, but it just melted the blade on the lowest setting :oops: .

Any ideas on where to but the silver solder and fluxin small amounts would be very much appreciated :mrgreen: .

Leo :-"

All the blades I've ever welded were spot welded.

The Machines in my shop (Startrite ?) had the appropriate spring loaded clamp system built in and low voltage high current transformer supplied the current.

Would not expect silver solder to have enough tensile strength on such a narrow joint.

A poor mans version of this:
690515.jpg

Edit: Spoke to a mate and he Silver solders some blades on his machine but he scarfs the joints for 5-6mm.

In answer to your supply query: I top up mine from Model Engineering shows, they usually have flux in smaller packages.
not a cheap slope to get into, can probably buy a couple of blades for the price of starting up.

Axmister obviously gives an idea of prices

Thanks for that Chas, I will be using a handmade jig and a blow torch after scarfing, any ideas on solder and flux location ????

Leo

Thanks Studders,

They are either no longer available ( with cadnium ) or out of stock items ( cadnium free ).............just my luck.

Leo

Thank you so much Chas, I have bought the stuff from Daventry. :D =D>

All I need now is practice........ #-o

Leo

You can with practice use a mig welder, as you say a stick will blow holes, but a mig will weld the blade. You will have to grind most of it away, but it is do-able. I have used this method several times, they seldom last as long as a properly made blade, but as a 'get you out of trouble' fix, it is worthwhile.

Gareth

Years ago I bought a little holding jig from Axminster, but they don't seem to do it now. The method in the instructions are to scarf the blade, but not the way you said Chas. They say to scarf it across the thickness of the blade and not the width.

I have done this several times and it works very well. Very easy too with the jig.

Thickness is what I intended to indicate, he just uses a belt or disc sander, like putting a bevel on a chisel.

Never had cause to think about it myself as blades are usually passed their use by date anyway when they fail on me.

Latest posts

Back