bandsaw blade advice wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
If I want to slab hardwood logs up to 12" dia, is a 3tpi 3/4" skip tooth blade a good choice? I am mulling over the Aminster 4300 bandsaw and wanted to make sure I order suitable blades at the same time. I have a source of several years seasoned logs up to 3 feet long in Cedar of L, Tulip, London Plane Cherry amongst others, and want to produce some 5/8" board and some veneers to finish drying for future projects.

What sort of throughput do you think I would get per blade on medium hardwoods above? Are the Axminster blades OK for the money?

thanks for any advice,

ike

I've got a blade like that. I wouldn't say it's a "good" choice. I have a Startrite 351, and it's too small for something that large, but I would look for something that could take a 1 tpi blade and a saw of large stature if I had much to do.

What's a medium hardwood? hardness is not the major factor, as some fairly soft woods have a lot of silica in them and they wear blades faster than a harder wood without silica.

However Scrit knows the answers and he'll be along soon. :wink:

I've got the 4300, and I've used Axminsters 1" 3TPI blade for re-saw work and it was great. It didn't last as long as I'd hoped, but I did get plenty of use out of it - as for how much use, I can't remember.

On a related note, I got a quote for a 1" 'Ripper' blade from Dragon Saws at £23 (vat + delivery included). Despite some peoples comments regarding the quality of the welds I'm going to give them a try.

Ike - I've always used the Axminster blades and have never been dissapointed, however I do use the 14 thou steel blades which you need to order over the 'fone as they don't appear in the book of words - Rob

Roy wrote,
What's a medium hardwood?

Erm, 'praps I mean't to say typical English hardwoods.

davy_owen_88,

Please let us know how you get on with it.

Rob,

.014" is thicker or thinner than standard? I'm guessing thinner so you can adequately tension a (1"?) blade.

cheers,

ike

Hi Ike

For blades I'd go for a hook tooth over a skip tooth if you can simply because it will cut more aggressively. For rough but fast sawing the Dakin-Flather "Ripper" hook blade suggested by Davy Owen is a fast if coarse cutting blade, but I seriously doubt that a 16in machine with 1in wheels will be able to tension a 1in wide x 0.035in thick blade adequately and that your idea of using a 3/4in (or even a 1/2in) blade will allow you to generate the required tension more easily. The "Ripper" blade stock is very coarse toothed at 1.3tpi and is a good blade stock for the deep ripping, but I wouldn't expect it to resaw much less than about 2 to 3 in thickness. What the "Ripper" won't do is produce quality veneers - it's simply too coarse a blade. For that you need to look for something like a 3tpi hook tooth (or skip tooth) blade, and something thinner so that you can get a decent tension on it. In that respect Rob's 0.014in blades sound much more appropriate as they should tension well on the 4300.

As to throughput that's really one of those "how long's a piece of string" questions. As Roy says some softwoods can be worse that hardwoods, but there's also the fact that carbon steel blades aren't particularly hard and what really kills them is hitting an inclusion, such a grit or a piece of embedded metal (barbed wire, bullets, buck shot, etc). To overcome this a lot of trade guys go to bi-metallic blades and even stellite or carbide tipped blades these days, but those blades come on very thick bands (typically 0.045 to 0.050in) and require a heavy duty saw to tension (also a 3/4in TCT blade for a 28in bandsaw will run you about £130 VAT, so....)

For sawing veneers I'd recommend that you retain a blade solely for that purpose and no other and that you dry the stock completely before sawing. Stick with a 3/4in blade and you won't habve too many problems with drift, but going to the machine's (theoritical) maximum capacity in blade width and cut height is possibly pushing too many things to the limit. I've tried sawing veneers from slightly green stock in the past and I find it tends to become very uneven and require a lot of flattening out before you can use it, depending on how wet it is and what species, of course. The main things for getting a decent sawn veneer are good blade tension, a sharp blade which has never cut a curve (because that alters the set of the teeth), a good high fence to support the material with consistent side pressure onto the fence and as consistent a feed rate as you can manage.

Scrit

Thanks Scrit. So 3/4" x 0.025" or 1" x 0.014" hook sounds like a fair compromise. High fence noted a la Philsville :wink: . Would be nice if the machine could happily munch to it's maximum depth but it sounds like that might be a tad optimistic.

My plan is to design an infeed/outfeed table with a log sled and gripper setup. If I reckon on a 10" max cut not overtaxing the machine, I am thinking (off the top of my head without working out the geometry) I should still be able to square off 14-16" logs to 10" x 10" (for 10" PT).

Ike

ike":2t3pk7eb said:
....snip...My plan is to design an infeed/outfeed table with a log sled and gripper setup. If I reckon on a 10" max cut not overtaxing the machine, I am thinking (off the top of my head without working out the geometry) I should still be able to square off 14-16" logs to 10" x 10" (for 10" PT).

Ike

ike, check out the thrust bearing block overhang if thinking of maximum log you can 'square', it's surprising how much that 25mm or so side protrusion inhibits the acess to a 'round' log, and any sled is going to take up some of the height capacity.

ike":2xty3g7w said:
So 3/4" x 0.025" or 1" x 0.014" hook sounds like a fair compromise.
With a 1in wheel I'd still suggest the 3/4in blade for the same reasons that you shouldn't be going to the maxmum depth of cut - you are so near the manufacturer's stated maximum dimensions that things might not work (and for the same reasons, tolerances/overhangs, etc). The point at which you cease being bothered so much by blade drift is where the blade is between 1/2 and 3/4in wide. Below 1/2in and drift is something you live with - above it and blade drift is either non-existant or minimal, all things being equal (i.e. the ability to tension the blade sufficiently, sharp blade of reasonable quality which has not been used to cut curves, properly set guides and rip fence, etc)

Scrit

Back