Band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickfb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I am looking at getting a band saw. I have narrowed it down to The Axminster AWHBS350N or Record BS300e.
I would be grateful for any recommendations or thoughts on these 2.
many thanks
Mick

I have the Axminster AWHBS350N cant fault it except that it needs a better blade than the one it comes with. Bought my blades from Tuffsaws, cant fault them either :)

Thanks all for the information.
Just found out that the 350n is out of stock until mid may. I have been looking at the AWHBS310, apart from the smaller motor it looks the same as the 350n. Am I just been impatient and should I wait for the 350.

Many thanks

It's slightly smaller all round - depth and width of cut. wheel size, weight, motor size etc. I'd say hang on for the 350n - may well be in stock sooner than you think.

RogerP":1gkos2wk said:
I have the Axminster AWHBS350N cant fault it except that it needs a better blade than the one it comes with. Bought my blades from Tuffsaws, cant fault them either :)

It's slightly smaller all round - depth and width of cut. wheel size, weight, motor size etc. I'd say hang on for the 350n - may well be in stock sooner than you think.

Seconded (hammer)

It's also worth checking out Steve Maskery's DVDs on setting up a bandsaw - that together with some Tuffsaw blades transformed my Axi 350N

HTH

Bob

Im not "jelling" with my 350 at the min. In fact I want rid and a better one. For me its all about the guides. Im finding it ever so more the chore when swapping blades. The way the guides are done its just frustrating as just when you get it perfect you tighten with an allen key and that motion moves the things back out of line. The play in the guard is getting to me as well and the slot of the blade removal in the table. I have the bandsaw fence upgrade as the original fence is pants and deflects to easy but when you want to remove the blade I have to also remove the fence guide. It would be far better if the slot was coming out to the right of the table. The blade tension system is also annoying me as you have to lock off the pitch adjusting knob to stop the vibrations from adjusting that but when you do the tension mec sticks so you have to release the pitch locking nut which then you have to reset once tensioned. I have stopped detentioning mine when I leave now because of this. I have also swapped out the side bearing guides for oak bushes.

It does cut nice with a decent blade on and has plenty of power.

Hudson Carpentry":ykutotmw said:
Im not "jelling" with my 350 at the min. In fact I want rid and a better one. For me its all about the guides. Im finding it ever so more the chore when swapping blades. The way the guides are done its just frustrating as just when you get it perfect you tighten with an allen key and that motion moves the things back out of line. The play in the guard is getting to me as well and the slot of the blade removal in the table. I have the bandsaw fence upgrade as the original fence is pants and deflects to easy but when you want to remove the blade I have to also remove the fence guide. It would be far better if the slot was coming out to the right of the table. The blade tension system is also annoying me as you have to lock off the pitch adjusting knob to stop the vibrations from adjusting that but when you do the tension mec sticks so you have to release the pitch locking nut which then you have to reset once tensioned. I have stopped detentioning mine when I leave now because of this. I have also swapped out the side bearing guides for oak bushes.

It does cut nice with a decent blade on and has plenty of power.

I use the supplied fence but modified with a removable high upright - which stiffens it. I redrilled/tapped and repositioned the locking lever cam (so now the handle doesn't stick out all the time). I cut the fence rail in half and re fixed so that there is now a gap to pass the blade through when changing blades. I've not found a problem with the blade guard or the bearing guides. The pitch lock bolt is a pain. I never release the tension overnight as, rightly or wrongly, I was told years ago by Axminster not to do so. I also fitted a "Power Twist" V belt which removed the last traces of vibration.

The more expensive axi machines come with a tension bar that you just simply pull up when you leave the shop and pull down when you use the machine. I like this idea and surprised they suggest not to detention.

Hudson Carpentry":2dv76xro said:
.... surprised they suggest not to detention.
From Axminster bandsaw manual ...

"13. Do not release the tension on the saw blade when work is complete. The blades and the
main saw frame do not respond kindly to constant changes in stress and tension. Only release
the tension to change the blade or if the blade is to be removed because the machine is to be
‘mothballed’ for a lengthy time period."

RogerP":xxdgdonk said:
Hudson Carpentry":xxdgdonk said:
.... surprised they suggest not to detention.
From Axminster bandsaw manual ...

"13. Do not release the tension on the saw blade when work is complete. The blades and the
main saw frame do not respond kindly to constant changes in stress and tension. Only release
the tension to change the blade or if the blade is to be removed because the machine is to be
‘mothballed’ for a lengthy time period."

Well whats the lesser evil. Hurting the machines feelings or stretching the blade. I suppose the blades are cheaper.

Back