Band saw setting up and the right blades ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAGWELL

Reaction score
Greetings all...

I have aquired a band saw and the only thing i can tell you is its green
and probobly german well at least the motor is..
:?
My question is how do you set it up correctly..
there are three adjusments either side of the blade and one behind it is this correct ??
The belt tensioner or wheel moves up and down and you can move on a angle is this to square the blade ???

How or what do you get the best settings

Also blades what is the best blades.. i want to use it for a multitude of uses do i have a selection of blades widths and tpi ????

Please somone help me get this pile of junk working properly or educate this thicko..

Bagwell

Hi again, metalhead!

For bandsaw blades and advice about same talk to Andrew at Dure-Edge (0161 430 2647). He'll need to know the make of your bandsaw or at least the length of your blade (the link in the PS at the bottom includes instructions on how to find the length of your blade without removing it). Dure-Edge custom-make blades to fit any bandsaw, and IMO the service, quality and prices are about the best around.

The adjustments you refer to either side and behind the blade are for the blade guides. The side bearings should sit about 1mm behind the leading edge of the blade, and should lightly touch the blade on both sides. Rear bearings should also just be in contact with the blade - the purpose of the bearings is to support and guide the blade without diverting it from its path.

The tensioning adjustment (usually on top of the top cabinet) should be adjusted so that there is a little side to side movement in the blade when you push it sideways. Too tight and the blade might break, too slack and it may stop or even slip off the pulley wheels. There's no hard and fast rule - some people tighten as much as possible then back off a little, others tighten until 'twanging' it emits a clear sound. NB - don't try to adjust tension with the saw running - if the blade snaps you'll end up looking for bits of yourself amongst the shavings on the floor.

The tracking adjustment (usually located centre back of top cabinet) is used to ensure that the blade runs consistently round the pulleys. Best way I've found to check is (with the saw unplugged) pull the blade round by hand (hand in glove, that is - they can be vicious beasts). Check and adjust until it stays in the same position relative to the edge of the pulley. It can usually be locked in position when adjusted.

Hope this helps

eeyore

PS There's a lot of useful info for the bandsaw newbie at http://www.bernards.co.uk/bandsaw_blades_faq.htm

PPS BTW - did you buy the Lecky Becky Table Saw? If so, you should come back and <gloat>

thanxs for the advice ill study all info...

in answer to your question did i buy

yes i did....and ill gloat when i get it leveled and set up (when ? )

watch out for a new post soon " where to site, and how do you use this elec saw ????? " comming soon

Latest posts

Back