Band saw Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bangerang1

Reaction score
Hi guys I am new to wood turning , I was given an old lathe recently so have been having a little fun turning a few things. I am currently after a band saw and have been offered a Record RSBS12 and wondered what people thought of these band saws ?
I know they are no longer made but would be interested what people think they are worth? and if anyone has access to an manual.

Thank you Malcolm , because its an old saw I don't think there is anything recent on it. Can anyone suggest a new decent saw that I don't need a mortgage for :) :)

Ha Ha Ha , Thank you again , He wanted £225 originally and now hes come back at 160 . I think if it was around the £100 mark I would have it but from what I can tell its about a 10 year old model. I was going to contact Record Power them selves tomorrow and see when this model was made and if they have a manual as I cant find the cut depth.

There are several, priced very low. The Draper is, fine,, and is below £100. Perfectly adequate for most things - and I cut seriously hard woods. Been turning for over 50 years. - Went to live in Thailand and took two of them with all the household things, came back, left everything behind, and started over, and bought this Draper just over two years ago. --- Do buy replacement blades from Starrett though, as they are better.

Just be careful what you buy. The old saying 'buy cheap, buy twice' is often true. Any bandsaw needs to be 'tuned' and there are lots of ways to do that all on this site, some work better than others. There are also many video's about bandsaws and how to look after them and use them well. If you really want to get the very best use of your bandsaw on an ongoing basis, then the Steve Maskery DVD's will show you far more and they are a real investment that you should own. http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/

Blades are important and you will soon see that the name Tuffsaw Blades is the leader. Manufacturers of Bandsaws rarely pay enough attention to good blades and some dont pay enough attention to their product, so do your research and don't act too quickly.
Malcolm

Back