• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Band saw for around £500

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

JonT

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to woodwork and looking for a bandsaw for around £500. I would like to buy something used to try and get a bit higher spec for the money, but not really looking for something very old. I intend to use it while I build skills, but am wary of buying anything that is of such low quality it is difficult to achieve a decent degree of accuracy with. I also don't want to need to upgrade it in the next 2-3 years.

Is the budget realistic, and if so what are people's thoughts on brands/models to look at a bit closer?

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had an Axminster AWHBS350n for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. I use Tuffsaw blades as do many others on this forum. The blade that bandsaws come with are usually rubbish and fitting one of Tuffsaw's blades make a huge difference.

ndbrown

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you could get a really good bandsaw for around £500 second hand. I picked up mine for only a fraction more than that in June this year from e-bay and I am sure it will outlast me! Almost everyone else on this forum will have more experience than me with a bandsaw, but what I can say that as a mechanical engineer, the Minimax has superb build quality. I know not everyone will agree with buying seconhand but for me, it stretches my budget to allow me to buy machines I could not afford new. The new version of my machine is over £1800.
I have also bought Blades from Ian at Tuffsaws, as has been stated by others, excellent blades, advice and service.

See my post here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/my-new-italian-companion-minimax-s45-bandsaw-t54601.html

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
There was a Startrite 351 for sale on the forum earlier today which is a first class and solid model, and at substantially less than your budget......

Cheers, Paul

JonT

Reaction score
paulm":f7mu2kel said:
There was a Startrite 351 for sale on the forum earlier today which is a first class and solid model, and at substantially less than your budget......

Cheers, Paul
Yeah, I saw the Startrite and would have taken a look, but it was just too far away from me (I am based in the North West and it was in Kent). Thanks anyway.

Harbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably only £60 ish to transport using Palletline?
I have an old 352 - great machines.

Rod

JonT

Reaction score
ndbrown":37vh7kic said:
I think you could get a really good bandsaw for around £500 second hand. I picked up mine for only a fraction more than that in June this year from e-bay and I am sure it will outlast me! Almost everyone else on this forum will have more experience than me with a bandsaw, but what I can say that as a mechanical engineer, the Minimax has superb build quality. I know not everyone will agree with buying seconhand but for me, it stretches my budget to allow me to buy machines I could not afford new. The new version of my machine is over £1800.
I have also bought Blades from Ian at Tuffsaws, as has been stated by others, excellent blades, advice and service.

See my post here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/my-new-italian-companion-minimax-s45-bandsaw-t54601.html
This approach was what I had in mind. Thanks for the steer with regards Minimax, I will look into them more.

fluffflinger

Established Member
Reaction score
+1 for the Startrite 352 simple, solid and reliable, that's why it's my role model as well as my favorite bit of kit :lol: .

I am refurbing one right now and could never have afforded the capacity that this machine affords me for what I paid, plus by all accounts it will still be mashing wood when I'm long gone.

Transport of all but the biggest bandsaw shouldn't be a problem. I got my 352 back from Scarborough in a Peugeot 306 hatchback. Alternatively if you value your upholstery I had a Sip 01332 Cabinet saw brought up by pallet courier from the west country for abut £50.

I would have thought for £500 you will get a great saw. Personally if you are patient I'm sure you'll snaffle a good un for much less.

First call after you buy any saw should be to Ian at Tuffsaws http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/ for excellent advice and even better blades, it will transform whatever you buy into the best saw it can be.

Regards

Richard

woodstainwilly

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a word of caution. When buying any used machinery there is
a risk of problems it could just br a simple thing like a baring needs
replacing but it could also be more serious like a twisted frame or
a main frame fracture. I say this because I know of someone who
bought a used lathe. It was cheap, but by the tome he had restored
it to full working order he could have nearly bought a new one . So
beware, if it looks too good to be true, it likely is.
Willy.

fluffflinger

Established Member
Reaction score
I totally agree Willy and I'm sorry your friend had a bad experience but when I went to look at my bandsaw I'd already asked those in the know on here what I needed to look out for.

Although we all take a risk with secondhand kit often a little faith and a bit of educated poking around can be rewarded with a much more machine for your money. Especially if you let the folks on here give you the heads up on what's hot and what's not.

I was prepared to pay alot more but having taken peoples advice I pointed out the things that obviously needed replacement, thrust rods, blocks (although these could have / will be machined and will last for years yet) and ended up getting a chunk of change knocked off.

I don't think £200 would have brought me much in the way of a new bandsaw.

Kind regards

Richard

woodstainwilly

Established Member
Reaction score
You are right Richard, not all used machines are duff but it is
wise for a newby to take someone who has a bit of knowledge
to give it the once over.
Willy.

Latest posts