Band saw conversion kit and blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindas

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We have this band saw conversion kit at dad's workshop and 10 bands blades. My question is is the kit of any use? If so what would be it's value. And are the blades of any use and again an idea of value.

Finally question is do you think ukworkshop members might find them useful if I were to offer them on market place?

Attachments

• 1573043792223image.jpg
    1573043792223image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 1573043765698image.jpg
    1573043765698image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 1573043747320image.jpg
    1573043747320image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 1573043726850image.jpg
    1573043726850image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 157
  • 1573043657783image.jpg
    1573043657783image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 1573043678357image.jpg
    1573043678357image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 158
I should add to Lindas's post, as I've "seen" this kit during an online video Skype call with her.

I don't know a lot about it, but it is definitely for the old 3-wheel Burgess band saw from, I guess, about the 1970s/80s.

I know the kit is for converting the Burgess band saw 'cos it says so on the label!

The kit (3rd pic & lower) allows conversion of the band saw from its "conventional" sawing function into both a jigsaw OR a fret saw (scroll saw) function. As far as I can tell, as well as the couple of spare band saw blades shown, the kit is complete and includes both types of blade (scroll and jig), and all the bits & pieces needed to convert it to either function, including an Allen key tool and a circle cutting (compass) attachment. It appears to be unused, though somewhat dusty/grubby.

I have no idea of value but presumably could be of use to anyone who has that saw (I've seen them mentioned several times on the Forum in the past).

HTH anyone who may be interested, and hope Lindas doesn't mind me "butting in" to her post.

The best way to find a wide audience for such unknown items (value wise and desirability) is to put them up on an Online Auction Site, that way they should make what they are worth and stand a chance of finding someone with older equipment looking for spares or adding to their collection.

If any one has any idea whether these are useful items or scrap items that would be helpful to me. I have no idea

Lindas":2yquo8y8 said:
If any one has any idea whether these are useful items or scrap items that would be helpful to me. I have no idea

There are still quite a few of the old Burgess saws in use. I have one which soldiers on regardless and I have made the instructions available online in response to several questions on here. Feel free to copy the file or print out a copy from the link at the end. The instructions cover the conversion kit as well as the basic saw.

I don't think anyone would pay more than a tenner or so for the kit though - I've got one with my Burgess but have never put it to any serious use, but maybe a model maker would get more out of it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxtEkh ... p=drivesdk

Many thanks Andy,

It might not be scrap then. In terms of the blades there are 10 in total and 3 types, 7 of one type, 2 of another and 1 other. Do band saws adjust to fit a blade or do they only take a set blade? I would be quite happy to offer these to ukworkshop for a nominal price with postage paid rather than them go to scrap if someone could use them.

Lindas":1nr59zfc said:
Many thanks Andy,

It might not be scrap then. In terms of the blades there are 10 in total and 3 types, 7 of one type, 2 of another and 1 other. Do band saws adjust to fit a blade or do they only take a set blade? I would be quite happy to offer these to ukworkshop for a nominal price with postage paid rather than them go to scrap if someone could use them.

You need to buy the right length blade to fit the bandsaw you have, there's only a little bit of adjustment to tighten it up.

According to an Axminster catalogue, blades for the Burgess BK1 and BK2 were 1435mm (56.5 inches) and for models BBS20 or BK3 they were half an inch longer, 1448mm (57 inches) - which might be slightly different from what the labels on your blades say.

The shorter length is listed as also fitting the Axminster JBS125 and CCB saws, but nothing else - it's not a widely used size these days.

As with the conversion kit, someone might want them at a bargain price but they are not rare or collectible.

Many thanks AndyT

It's going to be a tall order to get our blades to saws and might not be feasible really!! At least we tried.

PS the tenon saws you looked over a while back are selling well via g..tree. I cleaned them all up and oiled their handles and they came up good. Thank you

Back