Band Saw Buying Guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi all

I am considering getting a band saw to add to my workshop.
I am not looking to buy new, as value for money just isn't there (unless remortgaging the house).
Most bench top ones seem to be just 80mm cutting depth, I was really hoping for a 100-150mm one (more the better)

I mainly work on hardwoods (oak, sapele, beech, and occasionally walnut and maple) so I have no idea on how much power is required.

The main use of it would be:
1. To cut curves on thick sections (approx 100mm square - coasters etc)
2. To reduce thickness of thick slabs of hardwood
3. Make router templates (again, similar to #1)

I am open to suggestions for makes and sizes and experiences.
Also info on blade types, cutting speed, fence, mitre gauge, cutting depth I should be aiming for, hidden accessory cost and anything else that you guys were surprised by (pleasantly or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
bp

Sorry, forgot to mention budget - around £200 with a little flexibility.

your options start with an A or B choice.
A = brand new. Delivered to your door. Normally you have to adjust some things, but if you cant, you can send it back.

B= used. You have to find it, and go collect it. Anywhere from 5 to 50 years old, work required anything between a good clean up and a total rebuild. If youve bought a lemon, no one wants it back.

Brand new is the most expensive (to get something that will suit what you want to do) but the least risky. Any major supplier will swap out any really bad machine

Used can (emphasise CAN) get you really good machine, but there is a high risk that you will have to roll your sleeves up and rebuild. and bear in mind old machines do not have spares available.
your choice.

I would have a look for a kity or an Inca on the used market.

sunnybob":258he8rz said:
your options start with an A or B choice.
A = brand new. Delivered to your door. Normally you have to adjust some things, but if you cant, you can send it back.

B= used. You have to find it, and go collect it. Anywhere from 5 to 50 years old, work required anything between a good clean up and a total rebuild. If youve bought a lemon, no one wants it back.

Brand new is the most expensive (to get something that will suit what you want to do) but the least risky. Any major supplier will swap out any really bad machine

Used can (emphasise CAN) get you really good machine, but there is a high risk that you will have to roll your sleeves up and rebuild. and bear in mind old machines do not have spares available.
your choice.

Good point about lady luck playing a big part in the used market.
I just did a quick search, the options I looked at with 100-150mm depth capacity are easily between £260 to £550, and higher if I needed more capacity (resawing etc)

There are a couple of Record ones with 200mm depth on ebay auction for the same price point as the lower end of my requirements. Hence the temptation.

Just a question, how did they cut curves before the bandsaw? especially on thicker sections?

marcros":258he8rz said:
I would have a look for a kity or an Inca on the used market.
I'll keep an eye out for these as well.

the most recent aldi ferrex machine would have been ideal but they are now sold out, might be worth keeping an eye out to see if they get any back in stock, this is the one: https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-10-inch-b ... 36E15211AF

it can cut through 100mm stock no problem including purpleheart which I tried recently, it is my first bandsaw so I'm no expert but it was good value at £150 especially with a tuffsaw blade upgrade.

lurker":1xfpbh9p said:
bp122":1xfpbh9p said:
Just a question, how did they cut curves before the bandsaw? especially on thicker sections?.

Elbow grease
:lol: :lol: :lol:

sunnybob":1xfpbh9p said:
and coping saws.
I have got one, a bahco one for under a tenner, but I tried to cut a small curve (25mm fillet radius) on a 1" poplar piece and I never got the hang of it. Albeit it was when I didn't have my bench vice so was attaching to the table using some bad clamps and was having to bend down to cut it (my workbench is an old re purposed dining table, so about 150mm lower than usual.

I think I need to give it time and learn to use the thing rather than jumping in the deep end with the tool on a real workpiece!

My shortcomings aside, my coping saw is about 150mm wide at the throat, so in olden days were there coping saws which were massive to cut thick curved beams etc?

MikeJhn":1xfpbh9p said:
Scroll saw if the section is not too big.
Ah, see, another tool I have seen a lot on ebay and other places but not a lot of youtube woodworkers use (my only source of video tutorials) unless for a specific project. I was thinking to use a scroll saw to cut router templates for finer work (not that I have any in the pipeline at the moment!)

Coming back to band saws, there are couple of really good options (at least on paper) on gumtree, but they are big sizes (14") for around £350-£400 and quite far away from where I live. I enquired with a couple of "man and van" options and the cost of transporting them is £150 or more - which throws it way out of my budget. A bit puzzled :(

I guess I'll just try and make do with my table saw for deeper cuts by reversing the work piece and either try and learn to use coping saws or not do many projects involving curves for the foreseeable future!

Thanks anyway, guys.

Coming back to band saws, there are couple of really good options (at least on paper) on gumtree, but they are big sizes (14") for around £350-£400 and quite far away from where I live. I enquired with a couple of "man and van" options and the cost of transporting them is £150 or more - which throws it way out of my budget. A bit puzzled :(

I guess I'll just try and make do with my table saw for deeper cuts by reversing the work piece and either try and learn to use coping saws or not do many projects involving curves for the foreseeable future!

Thanks anyway, guys.[/quote]
If you take the table and stand of on a 14" saw it will fit in most hatchbacks.

Back