Ban on airtravel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that this will happen, but I do think that air travel especially on long haul flights will become so expensive that many who enjoy a holiday to distant lands will no longer be able to do so . Of course with advances in technology who can say what may happen in 10-20-30 years time.

I could see taxes being introduced to reduce the amount of flights but I can't see how it could be banned by the UK government. People just drive their electric car to France and cat a plane there if they want to go long haul.

It would be better to tax flights and give everybody an allowance that could be used to offset train and ferry fairs rather than an actual flight.

seems like a scaremongering article, if there's money to be made then why would they just shut it all down?

The article states there was a report.

Someone was assigned the task of investigating how to reach zero and this report is what they concluded. It doesn't mean the government will do it or that Boris Johnson has even read it.

Actually “According to the authors of the report, the only way that the UK government can meet their Absolute Zero obligations is to phase out all air travel, implementing an outright ban in 2050”

Note this is different to saying the UK will ban air travel.
We could just not meet those targets, find another way to achieve the goal or most likely revise the target.

Ban air travel in the UK? Ha ha! They may be talking about local flights "within" the UK, but even then there will always be flights for government officials, royalty and those with "loadsa money". Reducing air travel in general is an excellent idea. The idea that you can travel thousands of miles in a few hours for a few quid is totally unsustainable with our current technology (ie fossil fuel based). People of this era have grown up with the idea that they can flit off on holiday anywhere, anytime and as often as they like for peanuts as though it is some kind of fundamental right. Well, they do so at the cost of landing their (and everyone else's) children and grandchildren with huge environmental problems. Does that attitude strike anyone as selfish? Or is it just me?

I couldn’t see who “the authors” are? Did I miss that?

Edit: I did, it’s Absolute Zero

Not really. The Tories are pro -business and wouldn't push an agenda like that. Aircraft designers are working frantically to cut emissions though. Don't listen to fake stories.
I dont. I look at a broad spectrum of news and listen to a wide range of views coupled with long experience of how the tory party(and other parties) have operated within my lifetime.

I think it is you who is unaware and uninformed to the point you readily dismiss criticism.

Always wise to be “very” careful one is not being fooled by a site which may well be something akin to Infonews which peddled, and allegedly still peddles, what they claim as genuine facts, which are later shown to be “fake news” (as per Trumpet…). The web allows all manner of disinformation, rumours with no substance, alleged “genuine/true“ reports from whomver/wherever to be be posted, and thus circulated in due course, and that site seems to be one…; who knows who’s behind it, and their motives too…? Oil barons come to mind, as do Russian, Chinese state organisations, as do far right groups in the US and elsewhere; not forgetting extreme left groups too?

Also one can bias a presentation of data from an alleged publication (selective editing etc.. of content and quotations) to give s specific POV; and often with less than a true representation of what was said; and/or with intent to deliberately mislead. Currently Putin is up to this game; and no doubt many others about the Ukraine situation are as well.Trumpet and his far right chums, the NRA, and Christian Taliban are well versed in the art. Goebbels a master of the "art" too and would have a field day if around today with all the web offers... During Obama's battle to establish a fairier medical system in the US... the HMOs, the Republicans (especially and the far right) - often via FOX news - misrepresented the NHS here and the equivalent in Canada. Clever use of words, biased reports and so on were considered the "real" facts - the truth; when in fact they were complete fabrications.

The tabloids use a similar approach with banner headlines; and sadly some of the broad sheets have adopted similar tactics. Big headlines with a deliberate slant to influence the reader; who is unlikely, in many cases, to read further and discover the finer details often buried in smaller print...; or research more fully both sources and content - and the biases of the writers /publishers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back