BALLS! and how do you hold yours?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is feeling the need for a jig to help with their balls there are a few plans available online:-
Laymar Crafts
Bob Chapman

David Springett provided plans for a wooden one in issue 217 of Woodturing magazine.

There are also several videos Youtube of turning a sphere (both jig-less and with jig)

And there were I thinking that this challenge were going to be a test of turning skills and not a test of engineering and jig making? Of course we could all get copy lathes and copy a tennis ball on it and if we all got really smart about it then we could get comptuerised jobbies and be done with it! Then I could just load up the blank and come back indoors and not have to be in the workshop at all :shock: :shock:

Im beggining to worry a bit. :roll: :roll:

I was told if they were round when put on a flat surface like a table they will roll and then stop. :roll:

I've tilted the blebby thing and not a move out me ball :oops: :roll: #-o

Jonzjob":18zi4xfr said:
Did you take it off the lathe first 8) 8)

I knew I forgot to do something, no wonder the table collalapsed. :oops:

Will check with you before I make any other moves just in case I forget. :oops:

Jonzjob":31z48y6f said:
Not unless it warms up a bit! I ain't going into my workshop until it gets above zero and it's -8ºC at the mo :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm glad we moved down here for the warmth :? :? :?

Now THAT is brass monkey temperature!

Well, my 'perfect balls' are going to have to wait till after half term - off to snowy Morzine on Sun with the kids for a bit of ski-tastic!!

(turning on the slopes is much easier than on the lathe :wink: )

gerrybhoy70":1jh9reua said:
If it's 'almost' round, is it still a ball?
Is it allowed to have a puncture?? :duno:

I dont know , but no help from the AA you have to mend it your self Rules are rules :twisted: :twisted:

Jonzjob":3vaufs6w said:
Not unless it warms up a bit! I ain't going into my workshop until it gets above zero and it's -8ºC at the mo :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm glad we moved down here for the warmth :? :? :?

wus..... 8)

admittedly the lowest I have been turning in this last week is only -3 though :shock:

the funny bits are
1. remembering not to rest the hand on the headstock - until it's warmed up!
2. having to adjust the headstraps on the Airshield to fit a hat
3. the radiant heater works great but the Airshield only blows frozen air.
4. I've finally rediscovered a use for my old ski gear =D>
5. remembering that sanding sealer will not dry instantly!

seriously considering building the other 2 walls on the leanto - but then my pet Robin wouldn't be able to pop in to see how I'm doing...

he shop at -2 today

6851981893_a614391014_z.jpg

but then again the view out is great

6852003523_50ff87981a_z.jpg

gerrybhoy70":2vaa7ogd said:
Jonzjob":2vaa7ogd said:
An round is round :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Most of it's round. 8)

Fire up the camera Gerryboy, Put her on the down slope and get her when she's rolling :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wont tell a soul :wink: :wink:

boysie39":1opew18e said:
gerrybhoy70":1opew18e said:
Jonzjob":1opew18e said:
An round is round :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Most of it's round. 8)

Fire up the camera Gerryboy, Put her on the down slope and get her when she's rolling :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wont tell a soul :wink: :wink:

She rolls without a problem Boysie (apart from the bump at the puncture). :roll: #-o

Back