Ball corners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaside Donkey

Established Member
Reaction score
My sister has asked me to make a box approx 20"x12"x12" using 'something decent, not pine or fir'. She also wants ball corners or something similar so that grandkids don't go bouncing their heads off sharp corners. Oh, and it also needs to be light coloured wood.

I've got some White Ash and some Black Walnut for a bit of contrasting trim but just don't think the finished box will look owt like with black or chrome ball corners.

Any suggestions both on wood type and making the corners safe welcome.

Thanks

A 40mm radius is prescribed as the minimum edge radius allowed for the front possible contact parts of a car under SVLA rules, to prevent breaking injuries at low speed. As the kids will be going at low speed .... and have the corners rounded in both x an y axis. Not a ball as such but close

No that is the minimum radius for any edge on the front of a self build car in order to be declared safe for use on UK roads. So is probably a good guide to how sharp your corners want to be in order to minimize impact trauma on young bones.

My sister has asked me to make a box approx 20"x12"x12" using 'something decent, not pine or fir'. She also wants ball corners or something similar so that grandkids don't go bouncing their heads off sharp corners. Oh, and it also needs to be light coloured wood.

I've got some White Ash and some Black Walnut for a bit of contrasting trim but just don't think the finished box will look owt like with black or chrome ball corners.

Any suggestions both on wood type and making the corners safe welcome.

Thanks
Saw the corners off. Stick on a thick enough piece and shape it round?

So is probably a good guide to how sharp your corners want to be in order to minimize impact trauma on young bones
Ahhhh I see your logic now. I just wondered where the car reference came from :giggle:

Back