Baize

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm soon to start making a card table out of oak, with a top made from either ply or MDF veneered both sides for stability. The top surface however will require baize/felt to be applied to it and I'm not sure of the best adhesive to use. I had decided to use self adhesive baize but unfortunately, unless I want to buy a roll 100m long then I can't get he right colour, so it has to be normal baize.
My gut instinct tells me to use a spray adhesive like carpet laters use, as it will give an even coat, dry fast, be permanent and shouldn't bleed through the baize.
Does anyone have any experience, suggestions or ideas of the way to do this?

The self adhesive stuff, quite a few of the places like yandles etc sell it in numerous colours.
Its like double sided tape on the back, i'd be concerned about it lifting. Although i havn't had any issues when i have used it on bottoms of items.

Copydex is good stuff for such, a friend of mines uses it on upholstery/fabric. Smelly though!

The traditional method was to use flour paste. Cellulose wallpaper paste is a good substitute for flour paste if you don't have any flour in the house.

Wallpaper paste works very well and has the advantage of drying slowly and it is easy to reposition. If you do use it, the best way is to prime the surface of the wood with a coat of paste, leave for 24hrs, apply second coat then your baize, leave to dry then trim with a scalpel. (This method works very well on leather too).
You will have to be careful to get the paste spread evenly and thinly otherwise there is a danger of it bleeding through, this can happen whether you use wallpaper paste, scotch or pva, but it is easier if you have a good quality woolen baize such as that used on snooker tables. you could ask your local landlord for the old baize off his pool table, turned over it will be as good as new.

Self adhesive baize/velour/velvet comes in a large variety of colours. What colour are you looking for?

Back