Bailey style plane refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexupnorth

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had a Bailey style plane that I bought from Boyes more years ago than I care to remember. It's always been sort of OK, but following the purchase of American Woodworker the other month I found time to give it a once over this weekend.

I didn't have time to do everything, but I did manage the following:
- Sharpened the blade through roughly 100 grit increments (previously I'd made too big a jump to 2000 grit)
- Trued up the chipbreaker and set it properly
- Tuned the gap in the baseplate
- Flattened the sole
- Rounded the base plate edges

All I can say is WOW! what a difference. I'll be following the rest of the article on the rest of my tools as a matter of priority.

Ade.

Welcome to the slippery (but hopefully flat) slope of plane restoration!

Extremely satisfying indeed.

Thanks for sharing...but here...we don't believe anything without pictures for proof! :wink:

Cheers

Jim

Lol, cheers Jim. I'm not good with pictures. My girlfriend reckons I've got the camera confused with a dog, as all I ever do is take it for a walk. I'll do my best though.

Ade.

Hi again, took these pictures about a mointh ago and have only just got round to downloading them. Hope they're what you're after :eek:)

Attachments

• IMG_2505.JPG
    IMG_2505.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_2507.JPG
    IMG_2507.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 995
Could I ask which edition of the magazine you are referring to please. I would like to take a look at it.

Hey twothumbs,

It was September/October, issue 221 of Fine Woodworking :)

Back