Bailey No. 7 plane spare parts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldchuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Bailey No.7 which is in need of TLC. The knurled adjuster knob beind the frog is jammed on and I cannot get it off. I think its threaded.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I can get spares? I've yet to try brute force in getting it off, but would like to have a supplier for any new bits that I may need.

Thanks,

Tim

I personally would remove the frog from it's seat clamp it in the vice with of course with some form of padding ie: a bit of clean rag spray the threading and behind the knurled nut with wd40 or equivalent and with a set maul grips, vice grips and some rag tighten 1/4 turn then back it all the way off slowly. and repair the threading with tap and die set. I am afraid if it is threaded brute force is the only way without the use of oxy acetylene to heat the nut which I am assuming is brass or some soft metal and with such a tool I would be very reluctant to use oxy acetylene torch. ( experience from 6 years with the Royal electrical and mechanical engineers : Army over 10 years working with vehicles ).

Wouldchuk":2s6skty1 said:
Hello all,

I have a Bailey No.7 which is in need of TLC. The knurled adjuster knob beind the frog is jammed on and I cannot get it off. I think its threaded.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I can get spares? I've yet to try brute force in getting it off, but would like to have a supplier for any new bits that I may need.

Thanks,

Tim

Remove frog.

Drop in pot of diesel for a coupla' weeks.

Hold bolt on which wheel rotates in padded jaws of vice; turn frog CLOCKWISE (the thread is l/h)
to remove bolt and thread from frog.

Seat bolt more securely in vice, now that access is improved.

Fix jubillee clip around perimiter of adjuster. (the adjuster is thus no longer "round" and hard to grip)

Turn adjuster (which ever way will go) to break "rust lock".

You're done.

BugBear

Completely agree with BB above, but one extra thing: wrap electrical insulating tape round the knob before adding the Jubilee clip. It will grip just as well, but the clip can't mark the knob.

And, as he said, don't forget it is a LEFT HAND THREAD. You don't think about it when you're using it, and it's not relevant when the frog is taken off, so it's easy to forget... DAMHIK!

E.

"Plus gas"
I haven't heard that name for a long time, every time I use it people don’t know what I'm talking about, someone is showing their age.

I don't mean to sound rude if you are already aware so I apologize now if it comes across to anyone as rude but, Diesel is a hygroscopic fluid meaning it can absorbs water/moisture so I would ensure that you double check that all the diesel has been cleaned off completely to prevent rusting of parts.

moe2003":23jdq09i said:
I don't mean to sound rude if you are already aware so I apologize now if it comes across to anyone as rude but, Diesel is a hygroscopic fluid meaning it can absorbs water/moisture so I would ensure that you double check that all the diesel has been cleaned off completely to prevent rusting of parts.

Didn't know that - thank you.

BugBear

Left hand thread...... (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Oh dear.... that may explain things.... I wont be over to my parent's (where my tools are) until the weekend, but thanks for the advice - perhaps its not so jammed after all.....! #-o

Time will tell.

Preston":13u8v3x7 said:
"Plus gas"
I haven't heard that name for a long time, every time I use it people don’t know what I'm talking about, someone is showing their age.
I only found out about it just before christmas on a landie forum, until that point i had never heard of it. :shock:

I've always assumed the company producing it changed their product name from Plusgas to wd40, like "marathon to snickers" and "bounty to plenty". I Just googled it and it seems Plusgas and wd40 are two different animals altogether. :eek:

I was told,
Plus-gas is a penetrating and easing oil
WD-40 is a water dispellent

Plus-gas is good stuff, but it needs time to soak into parts for the best results

Back