Baileigh Industrial TS-1040E-50 Cabinet saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicky

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a review of my new table saw. It is a Baileigh Industrial TS-1040E-50, a slightly less equivalent of the Axminster AT254TS and various Harvey rebrands. Baileigh do various other Harvey clone's and they vary in prices. Their TS-1020WS is the same as the Axi, but includes the sliding table. I had been looking for this type of saw since the late 90’s when I first saw big Norm and his Unisaw on NYW and spent a long time umming and ahhing about whether or not to shell out and buy a Woodford saw. When I finally plucked up the courage, they'd gone and lost the Harvey contract. Axminster picked it up, but although expensive, cheaper than importing one from Europe. I sold my Scheppach TS2500CI and started researching again. I googled 'US style contractor saw UK' and Baileigh Industrial (http://www.baileighinductrial.co.uk) popped up. To my surprise, they had the very saw I was after. [attachment=13]8g3j6yM9RUShi0p6jaK4TQ.jpg[/attachment]
Firstly, the packaging. It was really well packaged, but really easy to unwrap.[attachment=13]8g3j6yM9RUShi0p6jaK4TQ.jpg[/attachment] [attachment=12]IMG_0160.JPG[/attachment] The saw was bolted to the pallet and these needed to be unscrewed before removing.[attachment=11]IMG_0164.JPG[/attachment] Once opened up, I began the daunting task of building it. First things were the cast iron extension wings. Getting them perfectly flat and level took ages, as I am a bit pernickety. The wings weren’t perfectly flat, and this showed when using a calibrated straight edge and a torch. However, when measured with feeler gauges, it was only out by 0.0015”. Acceptable I think.[attachment=10]gt79wACSRYmT+ufL7uqy0g.jpg[/attachment] Once aligned and finger smooth, I then attached the rails. No mean feat on your own with 50” rails. These were required to be 1/16” below the bottom of the mitre slot. Composite extension added and aligned, and support legs screwed on were the next things. All good so far. The fence was next, and this has me concerned slightly. It sits 5.5mm above the table (angle of the picture makes it look higher). I’ve Youtubed the fence, a Master-Rip, and it is a common fence, used by various saw manufacturers. The videos show the fence at varying heights, but the most common is as I’m used to, sliding on the table top. I’ve spoken with Baileigh this morning and they are checking the specs. I can obviously lower the rails to suit, but I want to check that I haven’t done something wrong first. I may have to lower the rails anyway as when ripping timber, it catches on the alignment bushing. We’ll see.[attachment=9]nQ3ibfu9Re6nMFsZnOZlWg.jpg[/attachment] Fence squared with the mitre slots and blade and blade checked against the mitre slots, all aligned more than adequately. Next was the electrics. Unfortunately, these saws have been imported from Australia. Before ordering, I asked about UK compatibility, CE marking, plug type and power supply. I was told that they meet all the UK and European legal requirements, they were 220v and would require a 16 amp supply. In reality, they arrive with a molded Australian plug, are not CE marked and state on the rating plate, 10 amp. So, in theory, a UK 13 amp plug and supply would suffice. For me, the CE marking is not an issue, neither is the fact that no declaration of conformity is issued. It may bother others, especially if you are running a business. I’ve rewired the cabling, as it is really short, and fitted a 16 amp plug, as the Scheppach required it and I already have the socket.[attachment=3]IMG_0784.jpg[/attachment][attachment=4]IMG_0785.jpg[/attachment] With the blade fitted and the saw fired up, I noticed it was a bit louder than the Scheppach. There are no db ratings on the machine or in the instructions, so it may just be a different pitch. I would say from experience though, that it’s probably not more than 85db, but don’t quote me on that! It’s at full speed in about 1 ½ seconds and stops in 4. Baja-king was asking about the trunnion on a different post and I can tell you it is the same as the Grizzly hybrid saws and not the same as the Axminster, Grizzly GO690, and Baileigh professional range of saws.[attachment=8]IMG_0165.JPG[/attachment] One thing though, this saw seems to be a combination of the hybrid and professional saws as there are parts used that are applicable to both. I think the main difference between the Baileigh entry and professional ranges is the motor. This saw has a 2.5hp Leeson belt driven motor, running at 3450 rpm, while the professional ones have a 3hp leeson motor running at 4300rpm and a different trunnion. The mitre fence is poor though. It has indent stops at 90 and 45 as standard, but they are slightly out. Easily rectified if not used. The sliding fence portion could be good, but it has really cheap Bristol levers that are awkward to use.[attachment=2]IMG_0790.jpg[/attachment] Nice addition of a fence stop though.[attachment=1]Ba1nqy47SWWLSMKXRRkUVQ.jpg[/attachment] Good thing with it is the mitre bar. It is nice and tight with no slop or movement. When I opened up one of the boxes, there was a Baileigh industries endorsed ball cap, 3m tape, USB stick with the instructions and a catalogue on it, pen and note pad. Nice gizzits.[attachment=6]fullsizeoutput_1a1.jpeg[/attachment] One excellent point about the saw is the dust extraction set up. It is by far the best I have come across from a table saw. The instructions state that 1500m³/hour is required, but my little Axminster Perform unit, rated at 198m³/hour worked just fine. I have a bigger Camvac system, but it’s not fully set up yet.[attachment=5]IMG_0787.jpg[/attachment] The blade guard has a neat extraction port and a dust pick up in front of the blade. I had to hook this up to another shopvac, but this greatly improved an already good system. Minimal dust on the table and none underneath. Brilliant! Following the instructions is always a good bet, but in hindsight, I would do it in a different order. I would check the blade alignment with the table before setting the wings and rails etc. A nice set of good quality tools are provided for building and maintaining the saw.[attachment=0]IMG_0793 copy.jpg[/attachment] All in all, a fantastic saw for the money, £1614, delivered to the Highlands of Scotland. I went for the 50” fence as I had the space and it was only £50 more than the 30”. Quite a big review I know, but I've still probably missed something. If you want anymore info, fire away.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,263
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,253
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,251
  • Ba1nqy47SWWLSMKXRRkUVQ.jpg
    Ba1nqy47SWWLSMKXRRkUVQ.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,251
  • IMG_0793 copy.jpg
    IMG_0793 copy.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,249
Great Info Dicky, much appreciated.

Interesting that it has a 2.5hp motor not 2hp as listed on the website. I asked Simon at Baileigh about this because the manual states 2.5hp motor but Simon said it was 2hp.

Can you confirm that it has a 5/8" arbor long enough for a dado stack please?

I think the dust collection shroud under the blade will make a huge difference. I visited Axminster yesterday (I'm fortunate to be only 5 mins from their Cardiff store) to look at the Axminster Trade AT254TS, I was amazed to see that there is no dust shroud under the blade, the dust is expected to fall onto an angled plate towards the dust port... even the budget Axminster Trade AT254SB/AW10BSB2 has a dust shroud under the blade!

[attachment=0]IMG_0779.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMG_0775.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=2]IMG_0774.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=3]IMG_0771.jpeg[/attachment]

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 1,168
  • IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,167
[attachment=0]IMG_0797.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMG_0795.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=2]IMG_0794.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=3]IMG_0788.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=4]IMG_0792.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=5]IMG_0780.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=6]IMG_0782.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=7]IMG_0786.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=8]IMG_0773.jpeg[/attachment]

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,164
  • IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,168
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,168
Yes, I can confirm that the manual states it is a 2.5hp motor and the arbor is 5/8 and will accept a 13/16" dado set. I haven't bought a dado set yet, but intend to soon

(First post on this forum)

Thanks for the review. I'm having a look at table saw options and this one looks really interesting. I hadn't come across them before.

Whatever I end up buying will need to go up some stairs (with a 90 degree corner) into the room above my garage. I've got the measurements from the online manual, but do you think moving it upstairs would be feasible? There's not much space on the stairs so I could probably only have two people moving it; maybe three at a stretch.

If necessary, do you think (from what you can see - I'm not asking you to take yours apart!) it would be relatively straightforward to take the table bed off and move it and the base separately before reassembling?

Thanks again

[attachment=1]IMG_0781.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=2]IMG_0780.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=3]IMG_0773.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=4]IMG_0782.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=0]IMG_0788.jpeg[/attachment]

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpeg
    IMG_0782.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,179
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,183
  • IMG_0780.jpeg
    IMG_0780.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,177
  • IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,179
Hi Nick, yep, you could take the table top off and transport it that way. I would say getting it up stairs any other way would be next to impossible without a hoist. Bear in mind that the weight is about 200kg, so your floor would have to support that weight

I forgot to mention also that it comes with a separate riving knife and both this and the blade guard system are quick release. No need to remove the throat plate to change over.

It would have to be stronger than your average bedroom floor, which is usually rated 30 lb/sq ft. As it is a garage construct it may well be, or maybe you could sneak another joist or two in there.

Fence sorted... I dropped it by 5mm and it sits just proud of the table now. Should allow for any dust build up. Speaking of dust, done quite a lot of test cuts and look, no noticeable dust underneath[attachment=0]B9F5CC64-BB25-4DDB-808C-19149EFB9848.jpeg[/attachment]

Attachments

• B9F5CC64-BB25-4DDB-808C-19149EFB9848.jpeg
    B9F5CC64-BB25-4DDB-808C-19149EFB9848.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,102
I enquired about this saw last week and received a reply from them that this saw was out of stock and they stressed there was a Very very lengthy lead time on new stock. But as I'm in no real rush I think I will wait for them to come in.

Pretty good so far. Having said that, I built a sled over the weekend and couldn't get the sled fence to cut 90 degs. After about 10 go's, I decided that maybe the blade was slightly out of alignment and I maybe didn't spend enough time when setting it up. Like I said previously, I would recommend checking the blade alignment before adding the wings etc. I stripped the fence rails and extension wing down and set about undoing the screws that hold the table to the cabinet to tap the table to align the blade. Easier said than done unfortunately, and nothing like you see on Youtube, lol. Anyway, blade aligned, saw put back together and all is good. Sled squared to 0.05mm over 400mm, so good enough for me! Not too sure about the quality of the blade though, so I've ordered a new one and also a dado blade. It's definitely noisier than the Scheppach. Have you ordered one yet?

When I got mine, there was 4 of the 50 inch entry level saws and a few of the professional ones, albeit a grand more. They were surplus Australian stock apparently.

Back