Badly painted kitchen and F&B paint?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
A good customer of mine has just had their utility room fitted out by a high end kitchen firm, they have made a great job of the joinery but the paint finish really lets it down. A chap from the firm came and painted it after it was fitted, I don't know if he is their normal painter but there are loads of brush marks and build up on the edges etc. The customer wanted the hand painted look but this certainly doesn't look a professional job, especially considering what they have paid.

My question is they say he used Farrow & Ball paint but some decorators I know don't like F&B as they say you can't get a good finish with it. I always got the impression F&B is aimed more at the general public to use and thought a firm like this might use something different and get it colour matched.

The firm have said they will come back and paint it again but is it the paint or the painter or a combination of both?

Sorry just realised in the title I said kitchen, it is a utility room but did cost considerably more than your average kitchen.

Thanks, Doug

Hand painting to a very high quality is, from what I've seen over the years, a very skilled job. Not all painters are equal!

(I was typing this as doctor Bob was responding) I was also going to say you need to seek doctor Bob's opinion!!!

I agree it's the painter. Many professional decorators though don't like F&B as they say it requires more coats. Brewers can match F&B and Little Green colours with their own paints, which are good quality and generally only need two coats over a well prepared, primed and undercoated surface.

PS - Many high end high street brand kitchen firms sub out the painting. Or they do where I live anyway.

The old saying... "if you can p!$$ you can paint" is completely untrue.
I used F&B on my kitchen really because of the good colour range.
It's a nice rich colour but I found that it didn't flow as I would have liked.

I find the new formulations of F&B OK, but I prefer Little Green. The point really is that unless you compare two paints side by side most people will never notice. F&B in some formulations has that chalky look, which some love and some think marks too easily. I think in kitchens and utility rooms durability is key. Edge build up is poor technique. Possibly poor brushes. For a good article on brushes : Battle for the best paint brush | Traditional Painter

Ive seen hand painted kitchens finished so well you can't see any brush marks.

Yes, you have a hand painted kitchen so good it looks like it was sprayed.

When I did kitchens, I cheated (clients choice, of course).....we factory sprayed them, them gave the external faces a rub down and hand brush after install. I've painted one or two myself.

I've been on site where Mark Wilkinson kitchens are being painted and they use some form of solvent based product - smells like a pre cat or acid cat.

Thank you for all the replies, they did say the painter spent half the time on his phone, guess he won't be working for the firm again if he is just a subbie.

Johnstones paints are good for matching F&B, they have all the codes for the different colours and as said unless side by side you would never know.

The old saying... "if you can p!$$ you can paint" is completely untrue.

I know a really good painter, proper old school and grumpy as anything as good old tradesmen always are, I'm always winding him up telling him "if you can p!$$ you can paint!", you can see he wants to laugh but he just grumbles instead 😄

I think most painters’ gripe with F&B is with the cost, and the fact that it doesn’t fit in with their personal painting workflow. IME you need to use F&B primer/undercoat to get it to dry in a timely manner, and the F&B exterior paints are generally much easier to use than the interior - but they cost more. For me, if a client specified F&B I’d use F&B - not something colour-matched equivalent.

As the decorator at the first firm i worked for always said

” if you can p1££ you can paint, but can you p1££ to a standard people will pay for”.

I would say mostly the painters fault, personally I think Farrow and Ball is not nice paint and certainly not worth the fashion tax.
However I have found the single most important thing is the brush itself, it is almost impossible to get a great finish with a rubbish brush.
I only buy Purdy, once a painter suggested another brand saying they were as good as Purdy so I bought one, it was not. so now I use it as a dust brush.

Ollie

I've used f an b. what was the paint. there is matt and satin. both are far from durable in comparison with 2 k.
but finish wise they are similar to every hybrid type paint(water borne alkyd)
oil based eggshell can be much better ie just a hint of brush but durable. unfortuneatly f and b don't do it. this is my 15 year old bookcase

Attachments

• 16020542228196652560214748546664.jpg
    16020542228196652560214748546664.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
I know a guy who had the English wardrobe co to do his hand painted wardrobe. the finish was inconsistent and matt. the painters usually get £1000 a week( back then)
my old mate used to say I don't give shot how its applied.. spit it through a straw as long as the finish is good!

IME you need to use F&B primer/undercoat to get it to dry in a timely manner,

I used some F&B eggshell on a cabinet over some Zinsser 123 primer (which is normally good for everything), the eggshell dried but took a couple of days to cure/harden during which time it couldn't be sanded so yeah stick with the F&B primer.

New kitchen last year. A weekend, with an empty kitchen, it was a dream to paint with *nothing* to paint round. Super quick and my 'edges' (when they fitted the units) were immaculate :)

I would say mostly the painters fault, personally I think Farrow and Ball is not nice paint and certainly not worth the fashion tax.
However I have found the single most important thing is the brush itself, it is almost impossible to get a great finish with a rubbish brush.
I only buy Purdy, once a painter suggested another brand saying they were as good as Purdy so I bought one, it was not. so now I use it as a dust brush.

Ollie

Read this article. Purdy are good but it is well worth trying the (much better) recommended brushes. Brush technology moved on a while ago as the articles are quite old. https://traditionalpainter.com/battle-for-the-best-paint-brush#/

New kitchen last year. A weekend, with an empty kitchen, it was a dream to paint with *nothing* to paint round. Super quick and my 'edges' (when they fitted the units) were immaculate :)
what paint did you use and any photos of the end result ?

Back