Badgering in Newcastle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger X

Reaction score
Evening folks. I dabble with a bit of everything but expert at little. I have a few toys in terms of a small engineering lathe, wood lathe, MIG welding gear, 72 inch belt grinder and the usual bits and bobs found in a home workshop, nowt special. I spend a fair bit of time working on swords/daggers and other assorted weapons for historic European martial arts. Joined up hoping to get a few tips and maybe some ideas on what else I can do with my toys. I keep telling the missus I'm nearly done equipping the workshop but now she just laughs at me. Could be worse I suppose in terms of a reaction... at least my beds not out there yet.

Not far at all, I'm in New Hartley so likely only a couple of miles away.

Ah great! My shed / workshop at home is very small and basic but I'm also a member of Blyth Man Shed. You'd be welcome to pop along for a cuppa and a look round some time, if you wanted to.

Ah been looking at that, its finding time around work to get down. my setup is modest and a bit chaotic but I have a little bit of everything.
received_1703820629826347.jpeg
received_300727321537567.jpeg
received_835460410510173.jpeg

Hi Badger
I'm just north of Morpeth, I grew up in New Hartley as a kid, my dad was a miner but that was when it was still very much a village and people never locked their doors, local doc had a surgery in her house and we had a village Bobby, those were the days.

What's with the bayonet on the bench, are you expecting intruders? :ROFLMAO: I have one on the wall in the house within easy reach.
Bob

Hey Lons, not much mining goin on nowadays in truth. That's an 1840s Austro-Hungarian Engineers knife. Antique but a functional blade. I think I was sharpening or polishing it at the time these were taken, main job on was straightening some oak for poleaxe shafts. My workshops normally full of weapons. Weapon of choice is a 15th century German messer or long knife although I do some teaching on longsword and poleaxe combat, knife fighting and a few other bits. So yeah.. I like to be prepared for contingencies.

Attachments

• received_440270336733744.jpeg
    received_440270336733744.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 12
Welcome Badger, great setup you have there. HEMA is a great thing to take part in, just wish I was mobile enough to do it. Do you know Andy Mcdonald by any chance, I live just down the road from his armory workshop.

Welcome Badger, great setup you have there. HEMA is a great thing to take part in, just wish I was mobile enough to do it. Do you know Andy Mcdonald by any chance, I live just down the road from his armory workshop.
Thanks Droogs, Not Andy no, Have friends in common with Paul Macdonald in Edinburgh although I think he's just moved his armories/workshop.

My error, was Paul I was meaning (I know 2 MacDonalds). A truly talented guy. Will need to check up where he's moved to, hopefully a bigger place.

Hey Lons, not much mining goin on nowadays in truth.

Yeah it was obviously a very long time ago :ROFLMAO: I attended Blyth Grammar School on Plessey Rd, it turned comprehensive soon after I left, so that will tell you just how long.:rolleyes: There used to be a long street of terrace houses from the west side of New Hartley all the way down to the school, Melton Terrace from memory and an estate of pre fabs at the top end of the park, where a couple of my mates lived, all gone now of course.

Back