Bad Wine - can it be returned?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd buy a "nicer" bottle of red for the family while in Tesco earlier this week, but because I'm not a wine connoisseur I ended up looking at the prices. I settled for a £12.79 one, so not the most expensive but better than the brick cleaner the local Nisa stocks (or so I thought). Upon opening it tastes very acidic, similar to the £3 rubbish I refuse to buy. It's so bad it's undrinkable.

Is there a particular reason for this, and would I be able to return it to Tesco? (I poured two glasses but they've hardly been touched) If not then it's literally going down the drain.

This is it - Saint Vigni Chateauneuf du Pape. No hints of spice or chocolate, just an overpoweringly acidic taste.

Thanks,
Mark

Pour the glasses back in the bottle and take it back, I would give it a go they can only say sorry go away but hedging my bets I think tesco would at least replace it with the same or different bottle you may have a rogue there.

When ever I open a bottle of wine I immediatly smell the cork. You can very soon tell just from that what condition the wine is, but unfortunately it is too late to do that now Mark. I too would take it back. s Russel said, the worst answer you can get is no way mate.

You could always tell them that it ruined your meal of their horse burgers :roll: :roll:

Seriously though, a wine at that sort of price shouldn't be acid enough to put you off, but it could be a bad cork. We get them here too but not very often. Is it a bit vinagery?

"Tescos Tasting Notes
Fresh red fruits with spice and hints of chocolate."

It don't sound like that from what you said!!

Edit : - I meant to say. See if you can find an AOC Minervois and you will be drinking a glass full of sunshine, just like what's produced all around us 8) 8)

Tesco tend to replace without question, just take it back.
John - they still use corks in your part of the world? I haven't bought French wine since 1980 - a purely political decision, they don't like our exports so I don't buy theirs.

hi,
take it back, on the telly a while back they where talking about counterfeit drink and mentioned it has also been found in tesco stores believed to have been mixed in along the distribution route labeled as good wine someone had been mixing it with other bottles in cases on normal pallets among good wine, tesco denied it but they had it tested and was made of all kinds of rubbish.

Not wine specific but generally the larger food retailers will at least replace an item not up to scratch if you approach them in a civil manner, storming up to the desk and giving the staff a load of verbal will not help usually - then they will start being picky.. wheres the receipt.. why didnt you bring it back earlier etc etc.

i had exactly the same bottle bought me from the wife, i expected a lovely taste but instead it was worse than the cheap brands of weasel water they usually sell, i will stick to my merlot any day..

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I tried phoning Tesco this evening but the customer service desk was closed so I'll call in tomorrow.

stevebuk":2nlz9bv4 said:
i had exactly the same bottle bought me from the wife, i expected a lovely taste but instead it was worse than the cheap brands of weasel water they usually sell, i will stick to my merlot any day..
It's interesting that you thought the same. What did you do with it?

Cheers,
Mark

Remember you have Statutory rights, inter alia, that the product must comply with its description and be of 'merchantable quality'. A well-known quality wine which is undrinkable fails both of these tests spectacularly. 8)
You pay a lot for wine in the UK and are entitled to expect a reasonable product.

My experience has always been that British supermarkets will replace or refund in such cases. If the person at the desk looks dubious, invite them to taste it for themselves.

phil.p":3dicp5r4 said:
Tesco tend to replace without question, just take it back.
John - they still use corks in your part of the world? I haven't bought French wine since 1980 - a purely political decision, they don't like our exports so I don't buy theirs.

I think that you will find that a lot has changed Phil. You can't go into to very many shops that don't have stuff in there without the Union Flag on it these days. From coffee tables to bedding and biscuit boxes. M&S have just reopened a couple of stores up north and can't get enough kit to satisfy demand.

My old lady would never buy French for the same reason and didn't even like it when I came over here on holls.

As for merlot, I haven't had any since I started the course of antibiotics on Monday :mrgreen: One of our friends is a loca producer and makes a really nice merlot. Lots of others too. His wife has asked me if I wuld like to display some of my wood in the brand new tasting room they have just opened too.

Sorry to hijack for a mo, but this is our neighbour, about a km away. Have a look at 'About', some of the comments and Henri's replys http://www.nakedwines.com/winemakers/henri-forest.htm . I don't think that I have ever seen him without a big grin on his face?

Hmmmm Chateau Neuf Du Pape is normally a nice smoothe wine, we have 2 bottles in out rack aging nicely, maybe it was a bad batch or something but it should be silky smoothe as it slips gently down your throat!! Take it back and get your money back....and if you want a nice smoothe wine that doesnt cost the earth you can't go wrong with a "gallo" zinfadel, turning leaf (about 8 quid)...make sure you have the turning leaf and not the ordinary zinfadel as its from a more mature grape and infinately more pallatable!!!

Chateau N D P is a powerful wine and I think at 2011 is really too young to drink?
However it should not taste acidic - pour it back and return it - shops don't think highly of complainers who have consumed most of it then taken the leavings back! :)

Rod

i actually threw it away, never thought about taking it back, still i have got a free bottle of the red coming on monday..8)

Back