bad water probs with my roof can you help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood master

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i have just put a new tin roof on my workshop but with the cold it drip all over the cast tools and rusts them

does anyone know how to keep the warmth in and stop the dripping, i have a tight budget as i have lost my job like a lot of others

thanks for your help in advance

cheapest way is glass fibre insulation with a visqueen undercover fixed to your wooden rafter.
all the best
rob

This is a real problem with tin roofs. You need to try to insulate it as best you can. How high is your ceiling? is there enough room to build a sub ceiling that you can insulate with loft glass fibre? Can you insulate between the batons then put up sheets of thin ply?

I'm not sure there is a cheap option.

Can you afford to get someone in to spray foam it?

Mick

Just this week I've put up guttering inside my shed to collect the drips of condensation which rain from the two beams either side of the apex. Might be a quick-fix until you insulate it properly?

Mark

Cold outside....some warmth and humidity inside...steel roof? You are bound to get condensation. You need an insulating layer-a ceiling, basically. You can buy large rolls of glass wool for£3-£5 if you hunt around, try to scrounge some 2x2 or something and some light ply, even if only a couple of inches thick it is better than nothing. A little ventilation when you're using it won't go amiss even when it's cold-most of the moisture comes from you!

Buildbase recently had an offer in conjunction with NPower and rockwool for £1 per roll loft topup 100 and 170 mm I think. These could easily be fixed between rafters and visqeened (sp?) as Rob Platt suggested. Probably the cheapest option if the offer is still on.

thanks for the help

iam a bit worred about the rockwool sliding down the plastic and makeing the visqueen drop with all the weight. its a steep roof slope. would it help if i uploaded some photos

John, It much depends what type of building it is-if it is an old outhouse or shed ,it probably has a fair amount of ventilation from badly fitting windows,doors and eaves. If it is relatively air tight you may need to put in airbricks or hit and miss vents-don't forget you need draught, so you need two small ones in different places rather than one large one. You will have more problems when you are there than when you're not, because of the moisture in your breath and sweat and also if you introduce heating- gas or paraffin stoves give off loads of water, so make sure if you're there for any length of time you leave a door ajar or a window open.

Hi Phil
It is a new wooden shed I have just built. It is pretty air tight, the windows for now are a stop gap cheap option but other than that it is pretty good IMO. The windows may, or may not be replaced this summer, depending on time. Can you suggest anything for ventilation either way please? There won't be any heat source other than perhaps something small and electric. I have a thread on insulation on here if you want to have a peak.
Thanks

Back