Bad habits. I know I shouldn't, but I still do...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never trusted my table saw rulers and always check with a tape. Though the ruler is handy if you just want to adjust by a known amount, e.g. slide the fence exactly 9mm etc
I use a ruler, then do a test cut on piece of thin ply, measure than and adjust if needed. It's ok looking at a ruler(or tape) but how it actually cuts will likely be different if theres a tiny bit of wobble or runout.

Measuring once and cutting twice.

Or the more advanced version getting the angle the wrong way around!!

Often it's when I'm annoyed in another aspect of life and I'm not thinking straight.

Getting lazy at dovetails:- first is usually a learning curve second and third usually good forth is getting sloppy time to go in for a cider!!

Measuring once and cutting twice.

Or the more advanced version getting the angle the wrong way around!!

Often it's when I'm annoyed in another aspect of life and I'm not thinking straight.

Getting lazy at dovetails:- first is usually a learning curve second and third usually good forth is getting sloppy time to go in for a cider!!
Your not down here yet James stick to the Yorkshire bitter . Yer can scrump all you like when yer ere

Mine is thinking that once the joinery is finished the project is over, and not treating finishing with the respect the project deserves.

My brain has already moved onto the next project. I'm working really hard to change this mindset 😔

I blame the lack of surfaces @point5clue and spend time moving the pile of bits off the table saw. Making the cut and then moving the pile off the router table and back onto the table saw.

I try to be tidy but somehow I always end up working in a mess.

Reading my tape measure upside- down. I convince myself that I will interpret all those "6's" and "9's" properly, but sometimes I don't.🤔
I bought a new tape at weekend called a vice versa. Avoids the upside down reading issue. Haven't used it much so not advocating it at this stage but just letting you know other options are out there if it's something that bothers you.

Martin

Yep, totally agreed on the first paragraph, we are in a very similar place with mindset it seems.

Vickers timber are brilliant.

Burton's are awful, only been once but a terrible experience and never again. Made me wait in my car for 15 minutes while they all had their coffee break and they were then super rude to me. I've no idea how they are still in

Must say I have had nothing but good experiences at EO Burton. Never been an issue getting a pack of Walnut, Oak etc out to choose the boards I want. I would speak to Andy always helped me.
Think the reason for the wait would be down to the fact if they don’t take there break at said times they loose them.
Don’t know if you have come across hardwood offcuts shop along doddinghurst road but Tim there is always very helpful too
And if you want to take a drive to Kent exotic timbers/timberline are great too, if your after anything a little more exotic they have most species there

One of mine is over-thinking and over-analysing. It's as though I need the perfect solution just to start. I think through a given project too much, and sometimes put myself off by all the ways it could go wrong. That's one of the reasons why I gave up woodworking for so long: I wasn't completing projects and got frustrated with myself.

Another bad habit of mine is making do with the wrong tool if it's more convenient than to find/buy/build the right tool. The things I've done with chisels...
Over thinking is something I relate to
Especially with electrics ! ( which is probably good ) so I double and triple check !
Over thinking everything interrupts my sleep !

Spending ages trying to balance one more thing on the pile of tools/off cuts/project parts on my bench rather than walking over to the smaller pile on the table saw.

I’m going to have a proper tidy up later obviously!!!
Or having your workbench so full of tools that you revert to a workmate!🤣🤣🤣

Oh my. I'm not sure the "knowing I'm in good company" plan worked out quite as expected. I've mainly been reminded of all the OTHER bad habits I have too! Thanks for all your comments though - so many familiar patterns and behaviours. It seems I'm normal after all. Well, as normal as you lot, anyway :)

Oh my. I'm not sure the "knowing I'm in good company" plan worked out quite as expected. I've mainly been reminded of all the OTHER bad habits I have too! Thanks for all your comments though - so many familiar patterns and behaviours. It seems I'm normal after all. Well, as normal as you lot, anyway :)
Cheek were not normal were Woodworkers

I bought a new tape at weekend called a vice versa. Avoids the upside down reading issue. Haven't used it much so not advocating it at this stage but just letting you know other options are out there if it's something that bothers you.

Martin
Cheers for that. Just taken a punt and ordered one for myself. Will see how I get on. Might get one for my son ( also a carpenter). Who is also prone to making the same sort of mistake - They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. :)

Latest posts

Back