Bad grain day - scraper planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My record #80 arrived today.

It's been around the block a bit, but that seems to have been mainly in the bottom of a toolbag, because, although it's got a lot of chips to the paint, the sole and the scraper look pretty much unused. The previous owner did set it up though: it's been pretty well flattened/polished, ground to 45deg, on a camber, and has a hook turned on it.

So it needs a clean, and possibly a bit less of a camber (I'll try it as-is first), but I'm pleased, as will be my thumbs in due course!

Thanks for some really great input chaps. I'm pretty confident of flat surfaces shortly!

E.

Eric The Viking":y0tke9lr said:
possibly a bit less of a camber

Probably best to hone the blade straight because advancing the screw to curve the blade has the same effect as a camber. If you start with a cambered blade it might be too much. I always hone mine straight.

But, as you say, probably best to try it as it is and see how you get on.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

They are usually straight on one side and cambered on the other to give you a choice.

I have plenty of blade scrapers and a Stanley 80. The high angle 50 degree blade on my QS 62 LA plane works really well on some nasty grain and keeps eveything flat. It is a great all round plane.

Back