Bad blades info/tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrollerman

Established Member
Reaction score
As an experienced scroller of many years I, like others here, have often received blades that were not up to par or in other words just plain blunt !
This has become no surprise for me and the first thing I do is change supplier if I get a bad batch.

Before I go any further, I suggest you read a very informative article by Mike of 'Mike's Workshop' about how scroll saw blades are made.

Here's the link and please read all of it but take note of the last paragragh !

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/How%20blades%20made.htm

So, by Mike's own admission, there ARE BAD batches of blades and Mike has been told it's the fault of the wire suppliers ?
I would add that there are many reasons why a batch of blades are bad and not just because of the wire from the suppliers !
If a blade is 'milled', it could be the milling tool is becoming blunt or is blunt.
If it's a 'pressed' blade, the pressing tool could also not be as sharp as it should be.
The hardening process of the blades is also another area where things can go wrong and often rears it's ugly head as blades that don't hold their edge for very long at all !

A bad batch of blades is par for the course if you place many orders a year as I do but as I said, the first thing I do is change supplier.
This is not a guarantee you will not get another bad batch from a different supplier but it generally works for me.

Now for the interesting bit.
Do I use the blades and put up with slow and often innacurate cutting, or waste/throw the bad blades away ?.......NO !
Here's what I do and it will only work to the limit of your eyes, the hardness of the blade and if it's just a bad mill or press that's at fault.
I sharpen them with a diamond file but for me this is only possible with my old eyes down to a size 7 !
I do this with the blade tensioned in the saw.
All I do is file (just a couple of strokes) the sloping part of the teeth as this is the longest area and works a treat for me.
Number 9 and 12 blades are no problem at all and only takes around 20 seconds per blade once you get used to doing it.
I have revived many new but bad blades that only needed a slight touch up with a diamond file.

I've also had success using a Dremel type mini drill with a fine diamond tip of around 1mm by stroking the tool in a downward fashion over the teeth from top to bottom with the blade in the the saw.
1zbc47r.jpg

Don't overdo it though as too much could give bad results.
Just a single light stroke down is enough but please do your own experimenting.
It goes without saying that this works for good blades that just need a touch up.....Simples LOL.

Have fun fellow scrollers.

Over the years I have read everything on Mike's site several times. Also over many years I feel I have tried every blade out there and for me personally and for the things I make Mikes ultra reverse blades are the best. As you say, we sometimes get a bad batch or a few bad blades in a batch and it's almost certainly down to the reasons you have stated. Last week I made a name signs with five letters and used three number five blades, one broke three times at the bottom clamp and I was able to re-attach it each time as only 3-4mm broke off. The second blade broke 30mm up from the bottom clamp so could not be reattched and I used a third blade to complete the sign without it breaking. I am dissapointed with the way the blades continue to break and put it down to a bad batch. Normally blades from Mike wear out before they break. I cannot ever see me sharpening the blades, I just don;t have the time. I will continue to buy the same blades from Mike because as I said, they are the best ones that work for me.

Back