Backing up a digital camera

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":1nwg9cbe said:
Dibs-h":1nwg9cbe said:
Rog

Could you copy from a card to a USB stick?

Cheers

Dibs

Don't you need a computer between the two?

Well - the webpage for that widget says you can connect via USB - so was wondering what would happen if one end was the card in the widget and the other a USB stick?

Dibs-h":3hs55wp2 said:
RogerS":3hs55wp2 said:
Dibs-h":3hs55wp2 said:
Rog

Cheers

Dibs

Well - the webpage for that widget says you can connect via USB - so was wondering what would happen if one end was the card in the widget and the other a USB stick?

I like your thinking but there is nothing in the (short) manual to say how that would be achieved. There are only three buttons on the gadget...on/off; reset and copy. Copy copies from the source card to the target card. I tink that the USB cable is simply there to allow you to use it as a normal card reader when connected to a PC.

I have a feeling that the Sony Memory Sticks are in their own little world of technology.

Isn't it possible to use an 'Internet Cafe', and email the pics to yourself?
Personally I prefer to stick to a number of smaller cards (2 gig max). That way if one does go belly up, I don't lose so many images.

If anyone doesn't like the idea of having a lot of cards with them, imagine a Pro Photographer, doing field work, before the advent of Digital. They would carry 'retail' packs of film, maybe fifty rolls to a pack. Ain't we got it easy? :D :D :D

John :)

PS:
If you can find an Internet Cafe, then there's this jobbie.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Wr ... al%20drive

Just transfer your images to a DVD disc, formatted as a data disc (Usually 4 gig)

And the number of USB card reader sticks, (not much bigger than a pen drive), is legion.

Yes Roger, and me too.

I'd probably take my laptop and power lead, and maybe a large capacity external USB dive.
No need to be online just to transfer images from a card.

The last time I went on a photographic trip, (with friends to Wales), a couple of the guys did use the 'net, but that was in a friendly hotel where the prop. knew us. We spent the evenings elsewhere of course. What a great little bar that place had!

John :D

My concern about copying onto a macbook as opposed to a number of cards, is that a laptop is more tempting and obvious to a thief.

The ideal belt and braces would be cards and regular uploaded to Photobucket or suchlike from a local internet cafe.

The Belkin Media Reader does NOT support Memory Stick Duo Pro and unfortunately it was damn nigh impossible to suss this out as this device seems to have disappeared from Belkins site. Amazon reviews are also pretty damning as a whole. Ah well..it didn't cost that much off eBay and that is where it is going back to. Oh yes, my iPod is too old software-wise to work with it. If it want for these three 'minor' problems then the Belkin would have worked well as a very cheap backup for the Sony memory stick.

RogerS":c1jfmnec said:
Dibs-h":c1jfmnec said:
Rog

Cheers

Dibs

Yes you do. But then you might as well copy from a card to another card. USB stick is the same thing in another shape.
If you just want duplicates for back up what about just taking a card reader and a lot of cards then just take pot luck on being able to find a computer?
Where are you going BTW? Wales again?

NB a card reader is just a simple adapter with a socket for the card at one end and a USB connector at the other.

Jacob":2vr70g7s said:
RogerS":2vr70g7s said:
Dibs-h":2vr70g7s said:
Rog
Cheers
Dibs
Yes you do. But then you might as well copy from a card to another card. USB stick is the same thing in another shape.
If you just want duplicates for back up what about just taking a card reader and a lot of cards then just take pot luck on being able to find a computer?
Where are you going BTW? Wales again?
NB a card reader is just a simple adapter with a socket for the card at one end and a USB connector at the other.

You don't need a PC with a USB Bridge device

That and a card reader is it then - if it works! Worth a try. Something tells me it won't have the capacity, but it's cheap.

I like that device, Roger. I've got some external hard drives doing nothing...although going by some of the comments on the belkin (and also the info on your link) battery life could be an issue...could always solder in a mains powered supply as I have plenty of those.

to save all the problems .....and the hassle of downloading cards..... just buy more cards they are so cheap now and shoot in

high j-peg (download when you get home)

this will give you enough resolution to print out to a A4 print that has quality ......anything higher than high j-peg in my

opinion is a waste of card space ....i dont know of any one apart from pros that would print out to poster size so would need

the extra Raw files etc

Dave :O)

Webby":2gim9mcp said:
to save all the problems .....and the hassle of downloading cards..... just buy more cards they are so cheap now and shoot in

high j-peg (download when you get home)

this will give you enough resolution to print out to a A4 print that has quality ......anything higher than high j-peg in my

opinion is a waste of card space ....i dont know of any one apart from pros that would print out to poster size so would need

the extra Raw files etc

Dave :O)

Trouble is that home is several thousand miles away! I need to make copies while I am away.

I've had a Delkin USB bridge for some years and the battery consumption is minimal - last for ages.

On the subject of picture file formats, raw has little to do with intended picture size, more picture about quality and flexibility.

Update...

the Camera Connection kit doesn't work..."This device is not supported".

I've got a memory stick to usb adapter on order so shall give that a try.

I now have the solution for the pesky Sony digital camera. The solution may well work for other similar devices especially if they are of Japanese manufacture.

On the camera, go via any menu system to the USB section. Disable AUTO and select PICT Bridge. Wait a few seconds and voila, your photos are available for upload.

Back