Backgammon / chess table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final jobs tonight - added black baize to both the backgammon piece compartment and the chess piece compartment
Also made another dice (?die) and then printed out 60 point arial font of the numbers 2,4,8,16,32 and 64. Then printed this out on sticky address labels, then cut out the letters and stuck the remainder onto each of the faces of the doubling die so that I could then paint with black hammerite to get the numerals. This doubling die is in the backgammon piece bit
Final photos below. It turned into a bit of a chore at the end but I think the wood just makes it - amazing ripple sycamore. I will shortly be going back to Eynsham Sawmill to clean them out of this amazing wood!!
Thanks for looking
Mark
6280540977_5715bf4d3a.jpg

6281059050_257b6069cb.jpg

6280542713_6c132c9413.jpg

6280544673_c94ce68063.jpg

This is really nice, I've always fancied making a chess board but it won't come close to this if I ever get round to it.

I like the attention to detail and the clever solutions to some issues. Well done.

regards

Brian

Final photo showing a much nicer chess set which I remembered I had - my grandfather's - made for him as a present by foundrymen - he was Chairman of the Institute of Foundrymen - they were made by apprentices and are solid - one set bronze and one set aluminium alloy of some sort as it does not really tarnish (the bronze does though!)
6286320929_91641fe795.jpg

Thanks again for your kind comments
Mark

Only just saw this, after you posted a x-ref from the recent backgammon question. really nice project, and WIP account. Excellent.

(I'm in the middle of my first WIP thread that I'm publishing here, and I'm still finding my way)

Thanks stevenw1963 - v kind
The hinges were a doddle to fit except just to be absolutely certain they are in exactly the same spot on the two halves. Got it wrong once and had to plug and re-do - but it wouldn't be the same if you didn't c**k something up
Thanks Ian
Mark

I did turn half the pieces - the backgammon ones that is! They were slightly easier than those chess pieces which were turned by some apprentice foundrymen for my grandfather 50 years ago
Mark

hi gasman
i am in awe when i see wip's like this.
what a fantastic table.
thanks for sharing this.
cheers paul

Hi Mark, that's very nice :). Just wondering if you reinforced the dovetailed leg joints with metal straps like you did on the victorian drum table? You got a bit of stick for that in thread I noticed, but I have recently fixed a set of eight round dining tables for a client which were made with that construction, and all of them had suffered some splitting, some of them to the point where the legs had come away. My repair was essentially to do what you did what you did with metal straps, plus glue on the worst ones. It would have been better for the clients if the original maker had put some straps on at the time they were made. These tables were a lot bigger and heavier than your backgammon table though.....

No they were strong joints - it all felt much better whereas the bigger drum table was quite weighty
Regards
Mark

Back