Back to handtools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JandK

Established Member
Reaction score
The house is now up to date and I have decided that most of my powertools will be replaced by handtools. I have a fair collection of old handtools already and some where badly neglected spur of the moment car boot purchases. I am having great fun with the restoration and putting them back into use
I have no handsaws except for a flush cut saw and a gentleman's saw so do I purchase new or used?
It is also my intention to recreate a carpenters tool chest with a collection of old tools this will be a long and ongoing project.
Less noise and dust and fairly safe what's not to like.

I regularly pick up saws at car boot sales for a pittance. Usually found in general piles of junk or decorative stuff, rarely from guys who actually sell tools. Best Sheffield warranted steel mostly!

Generally the surface rust is easily removed and you can learn sharpening quickly enough.

I have needed to replace the handle on only one so far. the best tenon saws have good brass backs but the ones with steel backs are perfectly good and lighter in the hand, and best of all passed over by the snobs who only want brass backed saws...

I can sharpen as far as 14tpi so i avoid the really small toothed saws you might find, and i only use my one small-toothed saw when i really need.

Used. There's nothing in long saws now that's equivalent to long saws made around 1900.

Back