Back problems? "Stand-Sit" workshop stool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had significant back and sciatic pain since 1990. I have good days and bad days. One of the penalties of being a human forklift from time to time I reckon. Around 2004 I was in California and stayed at a hotel where the desk chair was amazing. The first time in many years I could sit comfortably at a desk. I forgot to ask before I checked out but once back in the UK, I phoned the manager of the hotel (The Hilton in Santa Clara I seem to recollect). He was very helpful and introduced me to the Herman Miller brand. I subsequently bought the same chair back in the UK for around £550. When I retired I took it with me and I use it to this day. As I sit in the living room now with back pain, I'm looking forward to going back to my study and sitting in that chair whilst working on my PC. However, it doesn't pay to sit for extended periods so about three years ago I bought an electrically actuated height adjustable sitting/standing desk frame which solves that problem. I just wish I could have the same facility on my woodworking benches and machines! In the meantime I just take frequent breaks.

I would never spend the money being asked now for a Herman Miller chair, but the sitting/standing desk for office work is well worth recommending. Manual wind up/down frames are quite practical and relatively economical. Take a look at Ikea.

@Geriatrix : Good tip! One thing that's been "drummed into me" is that whatever you're doing, standing, standing, walking, etc, etc, you need to take a short break (10 mins?) to do something else - i.e. if standing then sit, sitting than stand, etc, etc. It works (for me anyway), IF I can remember to do it! I sometimes set an alarm on my phone if I'm doing something that's likely to absorb my full attention.

HTH fellow suffers, 'cos "fun it isn't"!

if money was no object I'd get this chair: https://www.johnlewis.com/herman-miller ... m/p3177272

my back issues have changed the way I think about posture and how important seating is, when I think about how long I spend sat down.

I will look into buying that stool it sounds good.
Hi. I have a problem with no feeling in my legs/feet below the knee. I also have a problem knowing where my feet are - my balance is unstable due to the lack of feedback from my feet and my lack of hearing (all damaged as a result of a bad reaction to my first ever flu injection). I tried a chair like the one from John Lewis but it swivel when I didn’t want it too! I have settled on a chair that allows me to sit with my elbows placed on my bench. It’s quite light so it’s easy dragged from place to place. It is actually meant to be a stool for a breakfast bar.

hope you all find something that works.
cheers

Back