Back On the Band Saw discussion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am also looking at the Scheppach Basato 3 but am erring towards the Elektra Beckum BAS316. I'm thinking you get more for your money with the BAS316.

I am also told both machines are supplied with blades that won't need replacing to function well, unlike the Kity.

It's a tough call, can anyone give a real comparative of these machines?

All

I am also interested in a bandsaw and am also debating between these 2 machines.

Interestingly the BAS316 comes with a circle attachment, mitre fence and stand. I think you need to buy the mitre fence speatatley for the Basato?

DM Tools (Twickenham) have the BAS316 for sale at the moment for £309 (collection only) and this seems to be a good price (compared to around £350 for the Basato (delivered).

Does anyone with a bandsaw use a circle attachment?

Any advice before Ally Pally?

Does anyone with a bandsaw use a circle attachment?

No, I made myself a circle cutting jig for my router some years ago and have therefore never needed to cut circles on a bandsaw. The process is, I imagine, somewhat slower with a router but you'll get a very smooth finish.

You can cut very small circles with a router, too. I've managed an 18mm diameter with my T9!

Yours

Gill

I have currently got the Basato3 ordered with Rutlands, there is a waiting list so I wont be able to review it until I can get my hands on one :-o

However im sure the Electra Beckum is also perfectly good but remember if it comes with more extras than the Basato then I cant help thinking thats where my money has gone into, where as on the basato it doesnt come with much at all & so surely most of the money has gone into the build quality of the actual saw rather than extras??

At least thats the theory anyway :?

I think at the end of the day from what I have read they are both pretty much the same, im not sure about the Electra Beckum but the Basato 3 comes with a nice little wheel to change the speed, much better than changing belts inside the machine which is another reason why I chose that model.

Nick :)

Just a little heads up I think people should know about the Basato 3.

I have now cancelled my order for this bandsaw from Rutlands as I was told 40 or so came in the other day but shortly after Sheppach contacted all the resellers asking for them to be recalled due to a power problem, it seems these companies advertise their products before even giving them a few simple tests.

As with all new things im going to hold fire on the Basato 3 until its been out for a while, there are too many early bugs at the moment, who knows what else might go wrong.

Nick :?

Yikes. :shock: That's not good. I'm surprised at Scheppach, I must say. Thanks for the heads up, Nick.

Cheers, Jester

I've just bought an elektra beckum bas 250 and wonder if anyone else has one. I've just started to play(I mean work) with it and it seems fine so far. I would love the bigger one but budget and amount of use constrain and of course the wife. :D :D :D

Jeff,

I got sent the BAS 250 to review last year and think it’s a cracking little saw - Easily the best in its price range.

I've been tempted many times to order one for myself but I've completely ran out of room in my workshop now so have to wait till I move later in the year. :D

Well descision made, I have ordered the BAS316 over the Sch 3. My reasoning is that the Electra Bekum BAS316 is tried and tested and well heralded by almoust everyone.

After the Scheppach recall for the faulty switch and the review on the Rutland sight that indicated another design fault, I feel the machine may have to many design teething problems and I for one have been through enough teething so I decided to let them get on and work it out.

Perhaps a year or so from today the Scheppach will be a contender but even then it will be a fine line between the two Band Saws

I will let you know how the 316 goes.

my fathers` next-door-neighbour recently purchased a record band saw (fairly large, not sure which model).

anyhow..... has he had problems? has he ever! :shock:

the first saw was wildy out-of-square, and seems to have been dropped from a large height on one corner :cry:

after returning it and getting another, it too seemed to have been dropped, but this time the throat of the saw was out of square (not enough adjustment on the blade)

so now he has a third saw, record have refunded him 1/2 of his money (as i say, I`m not sure of the model... I`ll find out)
the third one seems ok, apart from the threaded colar where one of the band-guide-bearings runs sheared off! [they sent a replacement by courier].

now i know I`m beginning to sound like a moany-old-fart :D I can assure you that i have bourght many tools now which i am VERY happy with, infact I`m far less "picky" than my father.... but is this kind of quality of goods really up-to-standard?
I know he got a partial refund...... but i think theres alot to be said for quality BRITISH made tools/machinary... not cheaply made chinese stuff (refrained from using a naughty word 8) )

prehaps teething problems for a new product from record?... prehaps

Back