Back in the workshop making jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all (particularly Neil)

Well, I am now revcovered enough to return to 'light duties' and have ventured into the workshop. I knocked up a set of winding sticks to help when flattening my bench and then was inspired when planing a board to make this little jig.
I was planing this long board and it kept slipping in the vice so I made an adjustable support.

I thought others might find this useful and so here are details.

I routed a slot to the exact thickness of some pine board in a piece of 32mm square pine that was lying around. I then planed this down to about 30 wide by 25 deep. I screwed it under the bench to form an upper support or guide rail.

HPIM0025.JPG

I cut a piece of 200 x 20 pine to 60 shorter than the distance between floor and bench underside. I cut another 150mm long and routed a couple of 10mm slots on the router table to allow height adjustment and secure location. I clamped the long and short board together with 8mm bolt and wing nut on the back. I cut a small counterbore in the front to prevent the bolt head standing proud. You can see the arrangement in this picture.

HPIM0026.JPG

I cut a load of 35mm holes along the lenght of the large board which were exactly the same diameter as an old brush handle I have knocking around. I cut a short piece from this dowel and it can be placed at any height. The jig can easily be located at any point along the length of the bench as it slides along the guide rail under the bench and the sliding portion at the botom locks it in place.

Works a treat as can be seen here:

HPIM0023.JPG

Tony,

A very useful looking board jack. I keep meaning to do something like it but haven't yet got around to it - this might just be the inspiration I need!

Tony,

Take 2 I typed a reply and managed to chuck it away!

Glad to see your back in the workshop.

I like this support, my cheapish bought bench has a row of holes in one leg and a long dog. But of course the board must be the length of the bench to use them. Nice solution.

Tony
Glad to hear you are back in the workshop. Hope all continues to go well for you.
I like the jig. An idea for me to tinker with too, when I find a bit of time.
Nice one! Thanks for sharing it with us.

SF

Come on tony your using up all the good ideas for jigs ,leave some for the rest of us or i am afraid i am going to have to call in the monopolies commission :lol:

Hi Tony

Glad to see you back in harness, hopefully you will be fully fit soon. I hope to make a similar return to the workshop within the next few weeks.

What an excellent jig, well done.

Is this covered by my exclusivity agreement? :wink:

Cheers
Neil

anobium punctatum":2x582kb6 said:
Come on tony your using up all the good ideas for jigs ,leave some for the rest of us or i am afraid i am going to have to call in the monopolies commission :lol:

To be honest AP I only have another 20-or-so ideas for useful jigs :p

much nicer than the array of clamps I tend to use which can slip anyway. Your jig seems to be foolproof.

Andy

Eeek! :shock: Take to the hills, Mr Jig is back! :D Glad to hear it, Tony. Now where's the website of all these jigs then? Should get a few hits I'm thinking.

Cheers, Alf

Neil

Good news that you'll actually get to use that gorgeous Jet kit soon. HR problems resolved and allowing you some time for play at last?

Back