Back from the reject pile

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
I woke up this morning with a very sore head, been entertaining last night and overdid it a little :(

Still it was fathers day and that meant tea in bed and a new Ashley Isles flouted parting tool.

Anyway, there was a reject piece of sycamore I had tried hollowing some time back but it had split. It has been in the wood scraps pile for about 12 months and even spent some time on the doorstep. Now it was really badly split. I thought I would play with the new tool and used it as a piece of scrap. In the end I decided the splits may add character so stuck with it:

firepile.jpg

I also saved a piece of laburnum which my neighbour was just about to put on his log burner. Not so sure about this one but it was free. Not finished yet - waiting for new Chestnut Buffing system which should be arriving in a couple of days:)

firepile2.jpg

BM

BM I have never been a fan of finials, but I do like the laburnum. The natural edge looks lovely and must have been a really good way of concentration as to where your fingers were :mrgreen:

Did you use any any stain on the laburnum? I look forward to seeing if the buffing makes a difference. Looks good now!

Jonzjob":37n10kd3 said:
BM I have never been a fan of finials, but I do like the laburnum. The natural edge looks lovely and must have been a really good way of concentration as to where your fingers were :mrgreen:

Did you use any any stain on the laburnum? I look forward to seeing if the buffing makes a difference. Looks good now!

I AM a fan of finials but not this one. Its a bit heavy and looks like a turning exercise. Plus it looks very sharp indeed, potential damage to someone's anatomy I suspect. The form itself is nice and the vase looks great. Why polish it?? It looks like wood, smells like wood therefore it probably is wood - not plastic!!

OK OK I know that some things look good polished but I think this one is great as it is. :D

Hi BM

As we are all different

As long as both pieces have turned out how you planned / designed them all is well

I like them both

Well done :wink:

I agree that the finial is perhaps a tad dangerous. I rarely spindle turn and was playing really so it was a turning exercise if you like. I like enjoy finials for turnings sake, not necessarily on artistic merit :D

I'm not sure I would sell something with a finial like that, would need to take out insurance first.....might make something with a ball on the end instead so as to protect eyes.

Latest posts

Back